Chapter 16: The Cullens

Start from the beginning

"You've never fed on a human?" I asked in awe. This man is incredible.

"No," he said with a tiny smile. "I was hiding out in a cave in the forest, starving. A herd of deer passed and I fed without thinking. I found I could survive on animal blood... and that's what I have always done," the story came to an end with a smile. "I became a doctor, wishing to help people rather than hurt them. It took two centuries for me to resist the bloodlust and be able to help others. I studied medicine during this time. I only created my children and wife because they were on deaths doorstep."

"So what about Jasper, Larkin and Alice?" Scott asked.

"And what about Edward, Esme, Rosalie and Emmett?" Isaac asked. Both looked totally focused and intrigued. Carlisle chuckled at their childlike faces.

"We won't go into details- but Edward was dying of the Spanish influenza in 1918. Esme had fallen from a cliff in 1921," Carlisle grabbed her hand and squeezed it gently when he said this.

"Carlisle is so lovely. I didn't fall. I jumped. I had just lost my infant son," she explained with a sad smile. "But I gained so many more children in this new life."

The doctor laid a gentle kiss on her cheek before continuing. "Emmett was mauled by a bear in 1935- now his favourite snack. And Rose... well that one isn't mine to tell. But she joined our family in 1933." We all nodded our understanding, keeping our eyes off of the blonde vampire out of respect. I didn't even want to imagine.

"No one knows how I was created, or why. I don't remember anything from my human life," Alice said in a neutral tone. I could only guess at how much grief not knowing her past had caused for the clairvoyant. To see the future but not know her own history... it's cruelly ironic. And now to have those very powers rendered useless... my heart ached for her.

"Well I didn't meet the one who made me either. One day I was human walking home from the pub... the next I woke up in a back alley a vampire. I assume I was left for dead, but transformed instead," Larkin said with a shrug. "It was a lonely existence until I met all of you," he smiled, but his eyes always seemed to land back on Bella. They were staring at each other as if they were having a silent, very intimate conversation. I felt the need to avert my eyes, as if I was invading their privacy.

We were all looking to Jasper now, who seemed to be gathering his thoughts. Before he could begin, he was interrupted by someone opening the front door. We all turned to see who it was, and I couldn't help the smile that broke out across my face.

His dark hair was standing on end from the undoubtedly high speed running he had just been doing, his cheeks flushed from the exertion and his eyes alight with excitement. He's so beautiful it hurts.

"Hey guys," Paul smiled as he shut the door behind him, but instead of addressing the room he was only looking at me. He did that a lot... but I wasn't complaining either. There were a few hellos, but mostly everyone noticed his lack of interest.

My skin was all hot with the feel of his eyes on me, and I wanted him touching me. It didn't matter how, I just needed the contact. He seemed to understand because he was across the room in moments, his eyes reading me like an open book. He picked me up before sitting himself and placing me in his lap with his arms around me.

"Hey Mieczy," he murmured in my ear, placing a light kiss on my cheek. I chuckled at the butterflies the nickname set off in my chest.

"You know? I kinda like it," I smirked, turning my head to kiss him on the lips.

"Mieczy... why didn't I ever think of that?" Scott scoffed. I only chuckled at him.

"What does that mean?" Isaac frowned in confusion.

"It's half of my real name," I winked at him. He was giving me a look as if to say 'well? Let's hear it'. I rolled my eyes, just like I always did when people asked me to say my real name, or- 'say something in polish'. "Mieczyslaw."

Isaac's eyes widened. "No wonder you went with Stiles."

"It's a beautiful name," Esme smiled.

"Yeah, I like it!" Alice chirped with her own little grin.

"Yeah- well. Try learning how to say your own name at two years old with a name like that," I laughed. I could feel the warmth of Paul's body seeping through my clothes, and I snuggled a little deeper, nuzzling my head into his neck.

"That's Polish- isn't it?" Carlisle asked.

"Right you are. And please, for the love of god, nie proś mnie o mówienie," (do not ask me to speak it) I huffed. That was always the next step when people found out.

"Nie śniłbym o tym," (wouldn't dream of it) he responded with a perfect Polish accent. I grinned at the 300 year old vampire. Of course he knew Polish.

"Bardzo cenione, wampirze," (much appreciated, vampire) I winked.

"That is seriously hot," Paul and Isaac said at the same time. Paul growled at the werewolf, who only rolled his eyes.

"Oh relax big guy, I've already got a mate," he chuckled, his hand rubbing Scott's leg. His mate was smiling at him happily.

"Do I need to learn another language?" Scott smirked at Isaac.

"It wouldn't hurt," he winked, kissing him quickly.

My eyes found Jasper again. "We've gotten off track. If you're still willing to tell it, we're listening," I addressed the vampire.

He nodded, and a somber silence fell over the room. I had a feeling Jasper was unconsciously letting his own mood effect the rest of us.

"I was born in Texas in 1844. I was the youngest major in the Texas cavalry at 17, and in the middle of the southern vampire wars. You humans called it the civil war," he started in his southern accent. I was in awe that the vampire before me was literally in the civil war. And that there was also a vampire civil war. "I met Maria, and she changed me. We created a newborn army together, and with my gift I could control them. We are always strongest in our first year, and we never let them live past that. It was my job to dispose of them. I could... I could feel everything they were feeling. And I did it all for Maria- without question. I didn't know there was another way- I thought that was it. I thought we were in love, but I was wrong. I was her puppet. In the 1940's I got out... I was a nomad until I found Alice," he smiled as he mentioned her name, staring at her now with love in his eyes. "And she brought us to Carlisle's doorstep."

"And we're glad she did," Esme said as Carlisle squeezed his sons shoulder gently.

The room was quiet for a moment as we all absorbed the stories that were told. Jasper was right. Each had their own tragedy that brought them to this life. Derek would fit in just right. I once again found myself admiring the blond vampire that considered himself the father of this powerful coven- this family. Fate works in strange ways.