Chapter 27: Surpise Shawdy

The clock was 5 minutes from striking 1. Every second that passed I felt my heart rate go up.

"Ok, let's go," Francesca exclaimed 2 minutes before 1. We opened the door and walked out into the brisk fall air. We walked down the path that leads to the lake.

"Do you think this is overkill? We might ruin the dress getting near the mud," I asked as I kicked a stick.

"It hasn't rained in a while we are good, you need to stop worrying so much," she told me rubbing my back.

We finally got to a clearing and saw the lake. Everything looked so surreal and magical at night.

"Look! I think that is them," Francesca whispered and pointed down the lake. I saw two shadows lurking at the shore of the lake.

"How do we know-" I started, but Francesca was already running towards the shadows. I had no other choice, I followed behind her being careful I don't trip on the dress. When I could see the figures better, I could see it was Steve and Soda. Francesca was already in Steve's arms hugging. I stood next to Soda. This was the most awkward moment with Soda.

"You look amazing," Soda told me. I didn't know how to respond.

"Thank you for the present, did you give Sandy one as well?" I snapped.

"We will meet you guys back at the house and we can all talk together," Francesca exclaimed. She grabbed Steve's hand and I saw them walk back towards the house pushing each other and joking around.

"Ok, I know you're mad, and you have every right to be mad, please just let me explain in detail," he pleaded as soon as Francesca and Steve were out of earshot.

"....fine," I sighed crossing my arms.

"Ok, a day after Darry and Cam found out about what happened, Darry felt bad, so he convinced me to get back out there and he had a girl to set me up with. I told him I didn't wanna go out with someone, but he convinced me too,"

I looked at him with spectacle eyes.

"So I went on a brunch date with Sandy," he continued, "I wasn't happy, she and I are very different. So I stayed home a lot and wrote. I wrote to myself how much I missed you and I would have done anything to be with you again. So I decided that we should all leave, we can run away to somewhere far from here,"

"What about Sandy, aren't you two still together?" I asked.

"No, I left her a letter telling her that it was over, I knew she would break up with me sooner or later. Can you forgive me?" He questioned.

"I don't know," I sighed.

"Kalleigh," he started "I messed up, I admit to it. I gave up too easily and I understand you didn't and waited for me and I crushed it. Please I feel stupid, and I know I did stupid stuff, just, please forgive me,"

I looked at his eyes. The blue eyes I got lost in all the time. The eyes I dreamed about in my dreams. The eyes I cried for. The eyes I did so much for. These were the eyes I couldn't live my life without.

I ran into his arms. This time he hugged me back. I felt him stroking my hair which only made me squeeze him harder

"I accept your apology," I whispered enough for him to hear.

"Hey, we gotta go to the house, we need to leave soon," Soda said as he grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the house. I felt the wind in my hair and we sprinted to the house. I wasn't worried about falling because I knew Soda would catch me. No matter what.

When we got back to the house, our big smiles and overall attitude told Steve and Francesca what they needed to know.