Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Emilia POV

________________________________________________________________________________

I add the finishing touches to my mascara just as I hear a knock at the door. I nervously run my hands down the soft fabric of my dress glancing in the mirror again. I hear my dad and Robbie talking downstairs. I am so anxious, why has Robbie suddenly asked me out? I have practically been throwing myself at him for months. Has he finally noticed me? My dad calls me down and I look in the mirror again before I grab my purse and head down the stairs.

In the entrance I see Robbie standing there with his arms swinging by his side, he looks as nervous as I feel. Not five feet away from him is my dad, he is frowning and doing the whole 'protective dad' thing, it was kind of cute. My dad turns to me and smiles warmly, gently appraising my outfit choice, he nods slightly and I smile back in relief. I face Robbie right as I get to the bottom of the stairs with a nervous smile on my face. Instantly Robbie returns to his usual confident self, giving me a very arrogant, very sexy smile, it was almost a smirk.

"Bye Dad," I said as I try to get out of the house quickly. Robbie grabbed my hand as I went past him, I think he wanted to get out as much as I do.

"Not so fast, Emmy," my dad scolded, he is a single parent after my mum died from cancer when I was little, essentially, he is very protective of me. "You have to be home by eleven ok?" I nodded, knowing the rules. "Got that?" he asked turning to Robbie.

"Yes, sir," my date replied respectfully. My good impression of him swelled.

"Let's go," I said tugging on Robbie's hand. Once we were out the door and in Robbie's car I asked him what we were going to be doing. He replied that we were going to dinner.

After about a ten minute drive we pulled up outside Carlos' the Italian joint in town. It was renowned for its spaghetti and meatballs, but it was also known as one of the most romantic spots in our town, again my view of Robbie grew better and better. As we walked in I noticed a waitress check him out but Robbie didn't seem aware of it, or at the least, he didn't care. I was thrilled.

We made our way to the back of the restaurant and found a little a niche seat, Robbie pulled out a chair for me and I smiled again. We sat and scanned the menus in silence; just as I made my decision and looked up the waitress was already coming over to place our orders.

"Hey guys, what can I get you to drink?" she asked in a perky voice, directing her words towards Robbie and not me.

"I'll get a coke, Em, what do you want?" Robbie asked looking me in the eye, focusing his attention on me.

"I'll have a Sprite, thanks," I smiled in a way that only a girl would see the underlying hostility.

"Sure, wont be a moment," again the waitress talked to Robbie alone. As she walked off I noticed her give her hips an extra twitch. I sighed, mentally shaking my head.

"I think I might get the carbonara," I said trying to provide conversation.

"The carbonara is really nice here, but I think I might get the veal ravioli," Robbie replied, setting down his menu. "By the way, you look really nice tonight."

"Oh, um thanks," I said, going for 'modest' but really, I knew I looked good.

"That's alright. So, tell me, what is your favourite... animal?" Robbie said with a slightly sarcastic look on his face.

"Animal? I don't know, a cat, maybe. You know those pure bred Siamese? I love them." It was true too, I do love cats, and they're so gorgeous.

"Cats? Nah, I like dogs. They're loyal, trustworthy and if you get hurt they make sure you're okay." Robbie said, he seemed to really think about his answers, like everything he said was important or something.

"They stink though, and you have to wash them," I said wrinkling my nose. I hate dogs.

"Whatever. How about your favourite...colour?" Robbie said, I guess he just doesn't want to make me angry and is letting me win, how sweet.

"Oh, that's easy, red," I said smiling.

"Really? I like the standard, stereotyped, royal blue," Robbie grinned like an idiot, I don't even know what 'stereotyped' means.

"Oh, cool," I said kind of lamely. We continued our game of question and answer all the way until our dinner arrived, the only thing I didn't like was that he kept interrupting with his own opinions, it seems we don't agree on much. That doesn't bother me though as long as I win in the end its ok.

My carbonara was average, my dad makes a better one and I am sure there was no Chardonnay in this one. I ate as much as I could though, considering Robbie was paying, it would be quite rude to only eat a little bit and have him pay for a whole meal. By the time we were finished eating it was 9.30 so I suggested that we go and chill out in the park just around the corner from my house. Robbie didn't seem too keen but he agreed anyway.

We rode to the park in near silence; I made a few half-hearted comments trying to get a conversation going but it wasn't working to well. When we arrived at the park we jumped out and I claimed the only swing.

"Push me?" I asked adding a suggestive edge to my words, smirking.

"Sure," Robbie said ignoring the hidden innuendo, he came up behind me and gently started to push the swing.

"Can you sing something for me?" I asked, apparently, he sounds good, according to Stacia anyway. However she listens to that stupid music that sounds like the 'singer' is in pain.

"Sure thing, what do you want to hear?" he didn't even sound nervous about singing in front of someone, I totally would have been. Although he is doing the gala with Stacia so he must be fairly confident.

"Do you know 'For Your Entertainment' by Adam Lambert?" I said giving my words that suggestive edge again.

"Yeah, I know it but it's a bit out of my vocal range, he goes a bit high. How about Bruno Mars' 'Just the Way You Are'?" Robbie suggested. I nodded my head in agreement even though I have absolutely no idea what a vocal range is; seriously, this guy makes me feel dumb. He began to sing and for once, Stacia was right. He has an amazing voice; he even sounds better than Bruno Mars. His voice was smoother, softer somehow, more like maple syrup than honey. After the first chorus he stopped, looking down at me for my reaction.

I looked up at him and smiled brightly, "Wow, you like, have an amazing voice."

"Thanks, hey it's a quarter past ten, I should probably get you home so that your dad sees I am a responsible guy," Robbie said with a sheepish grin.

"Ok, I am sure he will be impressed," I knew he wouldn't be but I felt like I had to say that for his benefit, and true to my intentions, he smiled like a Cheshire cat.

Robbie walked me to my door and said goodnight to me and my dad before he left, as soon as he was gone my dad interrogated me about what we did and made sure that he was a total gentleman.

"Average," my dad remarked before kissing my forehead and telling me to go to bed. Then he sauntered off to the lounge room where I could hear the sounds of an AFL game being played.

I went up stairs and got myself ready for bed then I found the cordless house phone and dialed Stacia's number. I told her about everything and we giggled and talked for almost two hours straight before we both gave up and went to sleep. ______________________________________________________________________________

So tell me what you think...

By the way, AFL is Australian Football League for any non-Aussie's out there; personally I think the game sucks. Although I am sure there are plenty of fans out there that love it; I'm just not one of them. Any way, I have uploaded a new story called 'Uncovering Xander' please check that out too.

Gabbiehannah.