"Nor mine." Lady Danbury agreed as the trio departed for the night.

*
*
*
*
*
*

Flashback

"Not once seen in London, no news of your education, not a word about you from your father. Yet here you are, alive and breathing. Stand up, boy, so I may look at you. Your mother would weep to know her dearest friend was a stranger to her son. I have seen your sister on many a visit to her school but you have stayed quiet." Lady Danbury peered down at the young Simon before her.

"You look just like her. You both do. And a good thing too."

*
*
*
*
*

As the trio entered the door mamas, daughters and suitors all turned to look. The Bridgertons being among the crowd.

"My Josephine looks exquisite tonight, that blue is gorgeous is it not mama." Daphne smiled as she, along with her brothers and mother were approached by the Basset twins and Lady Danbury.

Anthony couldn't agree more as he couldn't take his eyes of the woman before him. He kicked himself for the way he spoke to her a few nights prior, perhaps if things had been different she wouldn't be marrying Benedict, but him.

Anthony was snapped from his gaze as Simon spoke. "A dance, Miss Bridgerton?" Anthony stood forward ready to disagree when he was again interrupted.

"I shall need someone else to seek me a glass of ratafia, then. Lord Bridgerton... do me the honor?" Lady Danbury could sense the tensions between the families so she drew the eldest son away.

As the group dispersed Josephine and Benedict were finally allowed a moment. "Josephine allow us to talk somewhere more private." Benedict outstretched his arm for the woman looking around to check where Simon and Anthony were.

"Quite a predicament we have here Miss Basset." Benedict mused at the woman before him.

"Quite indeed Mr Bridgerton how will we cope." Josephine smiled glad they where on the same page about the matter.

"We should create a charade, draw the engagement on to the end of the season giving us time to work out a way to avoid this entirely." Benedict suggested reaching for two glasses off the refreshment table they were residing by.

"I agree, keep them believing. Keep my brother happy, keep everyone happy." Josephine was content with the idea. It would give them time to come up with a plan to fix the whole ordeal.

The two where hushed as an angry looking Viscount approaching them. "Go dance with your sister." He interrupted sternly.

"Why?" Benedict asked, concerned to leave Josephine alone with his brother.

"Because I asked you to!" Anthony almost yelled at poor Benedict.

"Good evening to you too Mr Bridgerton." Josephine rolled her eyes as the man reached over her to grab a drink from the table. Between the two of them they where both quite drunk which was not ideal in the current situation.

"Is it your wish for me to insult your sister, Bridgerton?" Josephine smirked as her brother approached the couple. She was mad at him. No she was still furious but she wanted to see Simon put Anthony in his place.

"On the contrary." Anthony replied with surprising calmness.

"You wish your sister to marry a loathsome toad, then." Simon retorted pulling quite an ugly face in the process.

"Mr Berbrooke!" Josephine exclaimed, in surprise and warning as the man approached the three.

"Forgive the intrusion, but, if need be, I will happily restate my intentions with respect to your sister. She is a prize I have long coveted for her beauty, for her grace..." Josephine was ready to throw up all over the perfectly polished floors.

"For her powerful right hook?" Simon interjected causing confusion from both Anthony and his sister.

"I must know whether I can count on you to handle this misunderstanding, my lord? I certainly wish to avoid any kind of embarrassment." Mr Berbrooke looked worryingly at Anthony as if the weight of his life fell on the Viscounts shoulders.

"Rather late for that." Simon once again interrupted. At this point Josephine could not tell if her brother was hiding something or simply just being rude.

"I assured you I will resolve the matter,
a matter which I shall remind the duke
is none of his concern." Anthony said facing back to Simon.

"Perhaps you're not the authority
on what concerns me, nor on the matter
of Lord Berbrooke's character." Simon icily replied. All Josephine could do was stand back and listen as the men squabbled.

"I shall do my best by your sister, Bridgerton. And perhaps even she might learn to return my affections over time." Berbrooke was clinging to loose threads at this point but his words echoed in Josephine's head.

"Do come off it, Berbrooke. I presume he failed to mention how he got that purple eye." Simon growled at the man. Josephine knew her brother could fight but surely he wouldn't risk his honour on a foul mouth like Berbrooke.

"He was careless with his honor. He attempted something last night I shan't dignify with words when your sister planted a facer. Deservedly so." Josephine's eyes shot wide as her brother revealed the true nature of the mans injury. She instantly gained more respect for Daphne. If that was even possible.

"You will never speak to my sister again, Berbrooke. You are to be buried if you so much as look in her direction." Anthony threatened, spitting on the man with each word.

Josephine stood back still in shock at the events that had just occurred, smiling at the thought of Daphne punching the ugly man. As Anthony was walking from the group and Simon was returning to the table to get a drink Berbrooke turned to Josephine.

"I presume I will just have to find a different wife." Berbrooke smiled looking deep into Josephine's eyes. Turning on his heels he walked out the room leaving an unsettling feeling in the pit of Josephine's stomach.

*
*
*
*

Oft here's a long one and a double update to make up for being MIA! Hope you enjoyed :)