Chapter 24: Falling at Sunset

Start from the beginning

"What's up?" I asked.

He looked at me with sad eyes, "You were really great today."

"Thanks, Shota," I gave him a soft smile.

He hesitated for a moment, "A-are you and Hawks... together?"

My heart broke with those words. All I wanted to do was throw my arms around him.

Maybe I should....

I stared at him, contemplating. I sighed, "No. Not that it should matter to you. You broke up with me, remember?"

"Y/n, please, I—"

I cut him off, "I need to go. I'll see you tomorrow."

••••

I walked out of UA with the weight of the world on my chest.

"Over here, y/n!" Hawks called.

"So, what's on the agenda?" I asked, a little reluctant I couldn't just go home.

"Well, I was thinking we could enjoy a view of the city."

"Oh! That actually sounds great!" Maybe it would help take my mind off things.

"Hold on tight, chickadee," he winked and swept me off my feet, flying into the distance.

"Hawks!!!" I yelled, laughing as we soared.

I couldn't contain my happiness. I felt free for the first time in so long.

He flew through the streets, ducking in and out of alleyways and going over buildings, high and low.

He picked a skyscraper, and flew straight to the top, lining the edge of the building. We landed on the roof, and he let me down on my feet.

I laughed and threw my arms around him, "Hawks! That was crazy!!"

He was laughing too as he watched my giddiness.

"Wow," I breathed, turning towards the city.

The sun was setting and the sky was decorated in wonderful shades of pink.

"It's so beautiful," I whispered.

"It's nothing compared to you," Hawks said softly, wrapping his arms around my waist from behind. He rested his chin on my shoulder.

We stood there peacefully for a moment, just taking in the sunset.

A moment passed, and I turned around to face him.

I ran my hand through his hair and smirked, "Hawks... what am I going to do with you?"

"You can do whatever you want to me." he chuckled.

"I said with you not to you!" I lightly slapped his shoulder and laughed.

"So, does this mean you're done avoiding me?" he asked.

"Mmm... for now," I shrugged.

He rolled his eyes, and I pulled him into a kiss. Unlike the last time we hectically and passionately kissed, this one was gentle and calming.

I felt a tingling sensation rush over me.

"Hawks," I moaned.

He pulled away slightly and smirked, "Uh oh... last time you moaned, you took off running."

"Lucky for you, there's no where to run," I chuckled.

"You're so dumb," he laughed and kissed me again. "Also, call me Keigo please. It'll be so much hotter when you moan my actual name."

"Oh my gosh!! Please, stop!" I hid my blushing face in my hands while he laughed.

I pulled back, "Hey! Want to see something?"

I stepped onto the building ledge, still facing him, with my back towards the city.

"y/n, not funny. Get down from there. I don't want to have to rescue you again."

Poor guy still doesn't know I can fly... Shouldn't have called me dumb. Or embarrassed me like that. I laughed to myself.

"Relax, Hawks." I winked, and let myself fall backwards.

"Y/n!!!" he yelled as I began to free fall.

I closed my eyes and felt the rush of wind against me. I did this all the time when I was younger, but it had been years.

I heard a voice next to me, "What the hell!?"

I looked over, "Aww is my baby worried about me?"

He blushed at the nickname.

He put his arms out, ready to carry me away, when I stopped myself and began flying upwards.

I looked back to see the look of shock on his face as he was still falling in the opposite direction. Suddenly, a grin took over and he soared up to me.

"You think you're so funny don't you?!" He yelled.

"Yes, yes I really do," I laughed. "Just see if you can keep up."

With that, I took off through the city with Hawks right on my tail. We raced through the streets and around the buildings.

I flew to a bridge and sat on top of one of the support towers. Hawks came and perched next to me.

The sun had set completely, and the city lights were shining. I looked out at the view and felt infinite.

"I've been spending so much time being hurt and angry and sad," I trailed off. "But look at this... this world is so beautiful."

"There's just so much to live for," I whispered.

I felt Hawks staring at me as he spoke, "I've never met anyone like you before. You're fearless yet gentle. Generous and kind and forgiving. Honest while still being compassionate."

"y/n, I'm just so happy when I'm with you. You take my breath away."

"Keigo..."

"Look, I know you're still not ready, but I'll be here y/n. Whenever you decide you are."

I snuggled up next to him, "Don't give up on me just yet, ok?"

"Never," he kissed me on my forehead.

"So, when were you planning on telling me you could fly!?"

"Well, I can't fly. Not really."

He looked at me confused, "I literally just watched you fly all over this city."

"It's just, I'm not truly flying. Not like you do. I use the air currents to just kind of push me around. Think of it like... crowd surfing on air molecules."

"Crowd surfing on air molecules? That's way cooler than flying," he teased.

"Shut up! It's just the best way I can explain it!"

"So, is there anything you can't do?" He chuckled.

"Mmm, I'm not a very good cook," I laughed and shrugged. "Want to get some dinner?"

"I'd love to, but only if you let me pay. That way, this can officially be our first date."

"Free food? You really do know the way to my heart," I teased.

We dropped down to the nearest sidewalk and started walking.

"I know you're not my girl, but, can I still hold your hand?" he asked gently.

I intertwined my fingers with his, and rested my head on the side of his arm.

"Thank you for tonight, Keigo. You really do make me so happy."

"Of course, chickadee. I'll always be here."

That night, for the first time in almost a month, I fell asleep with a smile on my face.