14 - Help

My bottom lip finds a spot between my teeth as I resist the urge to smile at Derek's text message. I quickly message him back, following Stiles through the police station. I slide my finger on the top of my phone to press the off button. My phone is snatched out of my hand by Lydia's petite hand. 

        Lydia smirks, reading the messages. She tilts her head in my direction. "It's about time." 

        I snatch my phone back, cheeks a little warm. "Not your business."

        Stiles glances back at the two of us, brows raised. His eyes dart to my cell phone pressed to my chest. Lydia chuckles, softly. "What are you-"

        Thankfully, Deputy Parrish steps in front of us just before we can enter Sheriff Stilinski's office. "Your dad should be back in an hour." Parrish opens the office door, letting us inside. "You want to wait in his office?"

        "Actually, we want to talk to you." I flash Parrish a smile to take the attention off of me.      

        Lydia steps up to my side. "Privately."

        Stiles shuts the door to keep anyone from overhearing what we are about to talk to. He grabs the piece of paper he had folded up in his pocket. I snatch it out of his hand, unfold it, and hand it over to Parrish. Parrish takes the paper, not asking any questions, but we can see how confused he really is by all of this.           

        "This is a hit list?" Parrish silently reads off the names. 

        Stiles uncrosses his arm. "We call it a dead pool." 

        I rock on my heels. "Do you recognize any of the names?"

        "Yeah." Parrish holds the paper in one hand. I had kept it folded just enough to hide his name from him until it was the right time to show him. "The Sheriff had me run a bunch of these through the system last night, but we couldn't find any of them."

        Stiles waves his finger in the arm before crossing his arms one more time. "Show him the other thing."

        Lydia glances between the two of us. I guess she wans't expecting to be the one to show him the other side. Lydia grabs the paper out of Parrish's hand to switch the paper over.                         

        Parrish sucks in a deep breath when he sees the final name- his name. He stands up and walks a little bit away from us. "Okay. That's kind of terrifying. What's the number?"

        "That's how much you're worth." I answer his question.

         Parrish spins back around to face us, stunned and a little disappointed. "I'm worth five dollars?"

        Stiles holds up a hand. "Five million."

        "I only may forty thousand a year." Parrish looks back dow at the dead pool. "Maybe I should just kill myself. I don't get it. Why- Why am I on this?"

        "Honestly, that might be a question for another day. Right now, there's still another third of the list we gotta crack." 

        I look towards Lydia then to Parrish. "We need the third cipher key, but we need help getting it."

        "From who?"

        Lydia makes a face. "Meredith."

        "The girl from Eichen?" Parrish crosses the room and opens the door to let us out. "The last time you saw her, you almost gave her a nervous breakdown."