Smaller Than My...

Harry spares a glance at Louis before they head to the Styles family dinner. Niall sits on the couch in the living room wearing only a pair of plaid blue boxers. He throws Harry and Louis a glance before shifting his attention back to his tv show. 

"Do I look nice," Louis asks, turning to Harry. Harry looks him up and down, his breath catching as he does. 

Louis' hair is fluffy and styled more than it usually is. He wears one of Harry's old suits since he didn't have one. There was no point in renting, either, when Louis fit in Harry's. Some stubble has started to appear on the sides of his face, but it's tidy enough. Harry attempts to write off his reaction as shock and suppresses the question that nags in the back of his mind. 

"Yeah," Harry sighs, forcing himself to look at Niall again. He knows what Niall's doing. Usually, Harry invites Niall to his family dinners. His father loves Harry's best friend--or as much as his father can love anyone that is. 

"You can go next time, Ni." 

"I know, it's no biggie, Harry," Niall explains. Harry knows that it's not 'no biggie', but he doesn't have time to focus on Niall's feelings when he'll be meeting with his father in less than an hour. 

He realizes then how underprepared they are for the dinner. Harry should've briefed Louis beforehand and told him what to say to impress his father. It's hard enough for Harry, nevertheless a total stranger. He curses himself for forgetting, but it's too late for that now.

"Ready to go," Louis questions as he eyes the clock. Harry gives Niall a last look before joining Louis as they walk out the door. 

~_~_~

Harry stands outside his family house, but he wouldn't call it that. The textured, white-plastered walls and the red-tile roof has become a dreaded symbol of Harry's childhood. He has countless memories of stepping out of luxury cars being chastised by his father with ten-foot-tall walls surrounding them, locking Harry in like a prisoner. Walking back into the place of his childhood leaves a dreaded weight across his shoulders that take a couple of days to shake. 

Blindly, he passes the driver a couple of bills and he steps out of the car. The first time bringing people to his childhood home is usually an interesting one for Harry. It was part of a game that he made up in his youth. He would bring friends to his house and guess how shocked they would be at the size and rules that came with it. For a moment, Harry wonders how Louis will react. 

Harry's green eyes watch Louis as he steps out of the car, but his face is unreadable. No notes of shock or wonder at the sight of the mansion in front of him. He waits a moment longer, sure that Louis will show some sign of something. 

"What're we waiting for," Louis questions after a minute, bringing Harry out of his trance. 

Harry realizes that he's read Louis incorrectly and he flushes slightly with embarrassment. "Oh, usually people are a little shocked about the house," He explains. Louis glances up at the building, a smirk playing at the edges of his lips. 

"It's pretty big, but it's smaller than my..." 

"Baby brother," Someone shouts, cutting off the end of Louis' sentence. 

Harry turns towards the sound of his voice. He would've been able to detect his sister even if she hadn't spoken since the abrasive smell of alcohol seems to be Gemma's permanent perfume. Everything about her is wrong, Harry decides. Subconsciously, he becomes embarrassed knowing that he will have to claim Gemma as his family. 

"I'm not a baby," Harry shoots back. Brown eyes rake over Harry's body, but Harry doesn't spare it a thought.

"You're always gonna be my little baby," Gemma coos as she ruffles Harry's hair. He shoves her away from him and takes a moment to fix his hair. A scowl etches itself across his face as he glares at his sister, who wobbles a little in her heels. 

"Already been to the bar, Gems," Harry says, knowing that his remark would hit her where she's tender. She whips her head to turn to Harry, her obnoxiously highlighted hair swinging as she does. 

For a minute, Gemma doesn't say anything. Her eyes flick between Harry and Louis before a smile pulls its away across her painted red lips. Slowly, she walks back to the pair. Harry gives her a look, begging her to push him a little bit more just so he can knock her down harder. Gemma seems to consider what to say before turning her body towards Louis. 

A smirk plays across her face as she drags an acrylic nail over Louis' shoulder. Louis doesn't seem bothered by the action, but his sister seems to have found Harry's weak spot, and he hates it. She walks around Louis, seeming to examine him before turning back towards Harry. 

Whispering, she says, "So this is the man Hazzie married... I figured you were always into blondes." 

Harry's heart sinks into his stomach and he feels as though he's stepped into a fire. Tears threaten his eyes as he stares at his sister, both of them knowing how hard she's hit him. Gemma doesn't seem to care about the comment and its implications as she smirks knowingly. How Gemma even found out about the whole thing is a mystery Harry would have to unpack later, but the dreaded doom of knowing that his sister could say something around their father looms over him. 

"Shut the fuck up," Harry hisses. The only thing keeping him from going to an extreme is the look on Louis' face. It's a soft one, quietly reminding Harry that it'll be alright. He's sure that Louis may not even realize he's making the face, to begin with. 

"Hmm, well I'll see you two inside," Gemma hums, turning on her heels and heading towards the door of the house. 

Before Harry has the chance to apologize for his sister's outspokenness or warn Louis of what's to come, he hears the voice of his mother calling them both inside. 

~_~_~

Hey guys. This is kinda a filler chapter but I already had half of it done so lol. The next chapter is going to be the meat of the family dinner. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a Larryentines update out for yall on Valentine's day, but we'll have to see. Anyway, make sure to post your thoughts in the comment. I'd love to hear what you guys think about Gemma. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed! ~B