chapter sixteen

"Any news regarding the patient?" Namjoon sighs leaning against the wall as the doctor in front of him pinches the bridge of his nose and lifts the clipboard that's tucked under his right arm.

"Fortunately, you're lucky enough to have bumped into me while rushing the boy in for immediate check up. His vitals are fine. We just had to remove the bullet and bandage his shoulder. He had some difficulty breathing so we used an oxygen mask to keep his breathing under control. Other than that he's alive and normal." Doctor Han reads over Taehyung's information and has checked every sign for the patient's health.

After explaining the whole process, Namjoon was able to breathe in relief not realizing that Doctor Han had just saved the boy’s life. Namjoon has never seen or been in such a situation. Especially saving a person whose life was at risk had him in panic. Now he's much calmer after Doctor Han explains that the boy is alive.

"What about his family? Did you get in contact with anyone?" Namjoon asks, thankful that the boy had a phone which didn't really malfunction after his fall in the water. While Doctor Han got a hold of it, he's not yet sure if anyone had picked up.

"Hmm..I checked his contact, but there were only two names there. So I called the first one on the list. The person who picked up claimed that they were his sister so I had given her information on which hospital he's at." Namjoon listens intently confused as to why he had only two contacts, but it wasn't his business to meddle in other people's lives. He's just a stranger after all.

"The other assumed to be a close friend and heard about his condition. I'm guessing he's on his way. Regarding Kwon Taehyung. He's still resting and we're keeping tabs on his health. The bleeding wasn't too much, but it did leave quite an open wound so It'll take time to heal." Doctor Han lifts his glasses from the bridge of his nose and purses his lips. He’s hesitant to ask this although this comes from any situation. 

He’s not a therapist but he’d say that it wasn’t a suicide attempt, more like someone trying to murder him with how much of a wound being planted in the boy’s shoulder.

"By the way, how did you get caught up in such a mess? How did you find him in that state? He was barely able to breathe with the amount of water in his system." He looks at his friend with worry. 

Doctor Han and Namjoon have been very close friends who had both moved abroad to study in France. Doctor Han graduated from medical school while Namjoon is in the process of getting his PhD and is working hard to reach his goal in life. Apart from his studies, Namjoon loves to take his boat out to the waters to let himself breathe for once, to feel free. At least that’s how today was going to be like, instead he rescued an injured male who’s not older than he is.

"I took the boat out to the river early in the morning and found him hanging off the edge of the bridge. He fell in and I went in to save him. Don't know much about what happened to him, but his shoulder was bleeding." Namjoon clearly remembers and gulps at the thought of a bullet going through his shoulder. It was traumatizing even for someone like him.

Doctor Han sighs at this, having already guessed but doesn’t want Namjoon to explain any further. He hasn’t calmed down yet even when he rushed the boy in, he was frantic.

"Let's not talk about it. I'll go check in on how he's doing. Last I checked he was still unconscious." Namjoon nods as Doctor Han  turns around and strides towards his room.

***

"How are you feeling Taehyung?" Doctor Han asks. Taehyung nods, body still quivering from the cold and his throat burns with the amount of water his lungs had sucked in.

"O-okay.. except my throat burns..but where is my sister Mina. Is she okay?" Taehyung asks since his sister is his first priority and has been on his mind ever since he woke up a while ago. Doctor Han nods and hands him a glass of water and a pill. He scratches his throat to reduce the burning and suddenly a slight pain shoots up in his right shoulder.