If what you say is true, then that would be my doing,” began the Princess, “As you see, I have placed a magical lock on this land. You can cast a spell outside my Kingdom and it will carry into this land, but it cannot be undone, nor can a spell be cast within the Kingdom. We find it to be quite the perfect defence in light of recent events.” 

Rose took a step back from the cell, “As the caster of the magical lock on this land, I may still use magic within the confines of the Kingdom. So let us see if what you have to say is truth.” Rose held her palm up, facing Eleanor. 

“Reveal.”

No sooner had she spoken the magic word did Eleanor, at once, transform back into her regal self - her magnificent brown hair piled high atop her angular face, her deep red gown unfurled like a scroll.“Release them immediately,” commanded Rose Red, “Clearly, we have much to discuss regarding Snow White.” The guard came forth and unlocked the cell. Eleanor and Hadrian walked into the open. 

“If I may ask, Miss Red, how do you know Snow White?” asked Eleanor, pointedly. 

Rose snapped, “Snow White is my sister.”

 * * *

“I’m terribly sorry to hear about your parents,” said Eleanor, “I would have sent my condolences, but I never received a carrier message announcing their passing.” Rose, Eleanor and Hadrian were all in the sitting room, having tea and crumpets. “Of that fact I am not surprised. Since the death of my parents, no carrier birds have been allowed in or out of Lormere,” said Rose, nibbling a morsel of crumpet and jam.

“And why is that?” asked Hadrian, curiously. “We were concerned the birds would be intercepted,” explained the Princess. “By your enemies?” pondered Eleanor. “Just one enemy. Snow White,” said Rose. “What I’m about to tell you is in the strictest of confidence,” Rose glared at both Eleanor and Hadrian. Hadrian was getting stressed and began fanning himself with a crumpet. “This may come as a shock to you, but, to put it plainly, my sister holds dominion over all animals,” said Rose.

“Actually, this explains a great deal,” said the Queen. In her head, she quickly ran through the mysterious incidents involving animals; the carrier bird that never seemed to make it anywhere, the wolf attack, on Falkner, the incident with her own dog, Edward, the cave in, Orion’s attack - all Snow.

Eleanor explained to Rose what happened once Snow arrived at RedCrest as well as describing the animal attacks since. Rose seemed unsurprised. “I can’t help but notice you seem entirely unperturbed at this news,” enquired Eleanor, “I’m deeply worried, for you see, Snow and my son have wed in secret.” “Your son is a fool for love,” replied Rose, sharply, “but he is not married. I can assure you of that.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t follow you,” asked Eleanor. “Snow already has a husband - Frederick,” said Rose. Eleanor and Hadrian were gobsmacked. Rose continued, “Poor Fred was driven to insanity by her actions. We keep him under watch in the castle, so he can’t hurt anyone, nor himself.” “If I may ask, what drove him to insanity?” enquired Hadrian with trepidation. 

“To put it bluntly, she brutally murdered our parents. Caught me completely by surprise. I never thought she’d be capable of something so gruesome, nor did poor, unsuspecting Fred. He was the one who found the half-eaten bodies,” said Rose, “Of course, to save face, the public believe they died from consumption. After I found out that Snow was responsible, she fled.” 

At this point, Hadrian was so nervous, he dropped his crumpet jam-side down onto the magnificent woven rug. Only one of the guards seemed to notice. “Why didn’t you go after her?” asked Eleanor. “My powers only work within the Lormerean dominion. Our heritage, our blood, runs through the soil of this land. Beyond our border, my abilities are rendered useless. I’ve tried every possible loophole, even redistributing soil from Lormere to somewhere new, purchasing more land,” said Rose, shrugging.

“But… Snow’s magic works beyond this kingdom,” began Eleanor. Rose placed down her cup of tea, “She made a deal with the Other Realm to ensure her powers were to work anywhere. The downside is, that her power wanes eventually and she must rejuvenate. I would prefer not to detail her truly heinous method of rejuvenation, for fear of even more crumpets finding their way onto my precious rug.” Rose shot Hadrian an accusing look. Hadrian blushed.

Eleanor stood up in her place, “I formally request you accompany us back to RedCrest, Princess Rose. We need your help.” Rose chuckled to herself, “It’s most unfortunate that you left her there, she will no doubt have completely ruined your kingdom by now.” “Oh no, I tricked her into consuming a sleeping a curse,” said Eleanor, “She’ll be out for a very long time.”

Rose stood up suddenly and with a changed demeanour said, “You mean she has succumbed to eternal slumber?” “Yes,” said Eleanor, guiltily. “She must never wake up. Do you understand me?” said Rose. Her tone had turned dire. Eleanor and Hadrian sat wide eyed. They looked at each other, then back at Rose and nodded.

“Is there any possibility of Snow being woken?” asked Rose, intensely. “Only true love’s kiss breaks the spell,” said Eleanor. “And your son, her husband, do you know if he has tried to break the spell?” asked Rose, maintaining her intensity. “Yes and he was unsuccessful,” responded Eleanor, “In fact, one of the reasons I am here, is that I have nowhere else to go, in truth. By my son’s word, I am banished from my kingdom for using a blood magic curse on Snow White. He loathes me now, but I won’t stop until I’ve made him see sense and you, Rose Red, might be just the one to help me do it.”

“Then I accept your invitation. As the only remaining Lormerean monarch, as well as being her blood relative, I must bear the responsibility to right Snow’s wrongs. We shall leave immediately,” said Rose, striding away with purpose. Her guards reacted to her movement, opening the door for her to leave. Eleanor and Hadrian followed suit. “You have afforded me a truly unique opportunity,” stated Rose. “And what opportunity would that be?” asked Hadrian. 

“The chance to avenge the death of my parents,” said Rose, proudly. 

Hadrian gulped.

* * *