"I see," I murmured around the rim of my mug. "Thank you, one way or another. I'm glad that I'm not here by myself. I'd probably be pacing the room and chewing on my thumbs if I was left alone with my thoughts."

"I know you would," he answered. "All the more reason for me to stay with you."

This protective version of Van certainly confused me. One day he could barely stand to be around me, and now he wouldn't let anyone else take care of me. It didn't make sense.

I set my mug back on the coffee table and fairly launched myself off the couch. First the unknown person within the territory, then the scurrying down to the bunker, then his protective side of Van... too many thoughts running through my head. I pinched the bridge of my nose and walked to the back wall before turning and leaning back against it. Van remained on the couch, silently staring at me.

"I don't know what to make of this new version of you," I said, waving my hand in his direction. "It's a little too much for me to process right now."

He shrugged. "I don't rightly understand it myself. Trust me: I'm just as confused as you."

So he didn't know why he was being nice. Even better... If he could explain his sudden mood change, I could process and accept it; but he didn't know, so it was possible that he'd go back to his moody self tomorrow. Great.

I leaned my head back against the wall and stared at the door on the far end of the room. "If it is someone from Midnight... What will happen?"

"That depends on what the spy does," Van answered. "If they're here on a scouting mission, they will find nothing and return empty-handed. If they don't return home, it'll stir suspicion back in Midnight. Patrol will detain and question whoever it is. Then we'll know more."

Then they'll know more, my wolf echoed. All we can do is wait.

Wait... I closed my eyes and drew in a breath. Waiting required time, and time gave room for discovery. I wanted to trust that Van's team would take care of me, but it was very difficult to do that when everything hinged on waiting. There was nothing else to do for now, so I would do the only thing I could: wait.

"Zoey."

I opened my eyes and jumped. Van stood a few feet in front of me. When had he gotten up and moved? Lycans could be so sneaky...

"I know that this must be hard for you, everything out of your control and relying on us to take care of it."

Thanks for reminding me.

"You've trusted us so far," he continued. "Please... keep trusting us. I won't let anything happen to you."

Yep. This new Van had to be temporary. There was no way he was taking everything on himself. All of these 'I' statements were just tied up in the stress of our current situation. Once we were back upstairs and the danger was past, he'd go back to being a team member.

"You should really try to rest," he murmured, nodding towards one of the other doors. "It may be a few hours before Stitch comes to get us."

I combed my fingers through my hair. "I don't know if I'd actually sleep."

"At least try," he urged, reaching for my hand. "Come on. I'll stay with you if it will put you more at ease."

He'll stay with us, my wolf sighed like a lovestruck puppy. He wants us to feel at ease.

He's just being the weird, protective version of himself, I scolded her. It doesn't mean anything.

I looked up at Van and nodded. "Okay. I'll try."