There's Is A Long Road Ahead... pt.2 (2)

POV: Chris

I opened the door to the house and beelined to the kitchen, knowing that my father would be standing there in his heap of papers, books, and files. My father has made the kitchen his workspace; as a geneticist that works for a secret agency, they have tons of work to do, I guess.

Ever since I came out of my mother's urethra with the ore I had, he has been obsessed over my DNA; and as a geneticist, and as his child, he could take hair samples, blood samples, and skin samples all he wanted. Not that I cared about it either; because I knew he was looking out for me.

But then my mother left, left him and me, and my father became a real freak. He started leaving blood samples on the table, having DNA reports on a sturdy string that hung from the ceiling. He had piles and piles of papers and files everywhere; books opened on different pages. In such a mess, he's lost his glasses so many times; he signed up for a monthly supply sent to our home.

Ridiculous, I know, but that's the way he's always handled challenging situations.

"Hey Pops," I say, sitting my things down on the floor and pulling a chair up to the island table, "How was your day?"

He looked up from his papers and took his reading glasses off.

"It's been a great day, son." He smiled slightly, "I didn't hear you come in."

Our usual conversations went like this; nothing much would change. But I need some advice.

" Hey, um, can I talk to you for a sec?"

"Yeah, I have all the time in the world." He put his papers down and got up, " Is something wrong?"

"It's about Alyia. You know the girl that is a student at our dojo."

"Hmm..." He folded his arms, " I don't think I know who you're talking about."

" The pretty black girl?" I thought for a second, " Years ago, her parents asked that you take a DNA test on her to see if she had any ore..."

My father shook his head.

" She lives in the neighborhood Willington," I continued, " Her full name is Alyia Marie Clark."

"Alyia Marie Clark, That's a pretty name." He said with a smile, " But I still don't know who you're talking about - Oh, I know who you're talking about now! I was reading her file a couple of hours ago. What about her?"

He began to search around the room.

" You don't have to find the file; Pops, as long as you know who we're talking about, it's fine."

"Founded it." He opened up the large brown file, " Ah, yes, Alyia Marie Clark. She is a pretty little African American woman. Didn't I tell you to watch over her because she has great potential?"

" Yes, sir. You did tell me that." I rubbed my face, " And I've been doing so ever since."

"So what did you want to tell me?" He put the file down," You know you have to be patient with me because my head is swirling with ideas."

" I'm worried about her; when we were practicing, she wiped her makeup off, and I saw a bruise under her eye."

"A bruise, that's not good."

"Also, I asked her out today, and she let me down."

" Ah, that's the way of life. You know your mother rejected me, and then by the next year, we were engaged. I'm sure she'll come around."

" I don't know, Pops. Lately, she's been pushing herself away from me, and I'm not too fond of that. I can feel that something is wrong; you know that feeling?"