There's A Long Road Ahead...

Location: Cherrydale, Tennessee, Grandparents house
Pov: Alyia

I left the car half dead; from the insults and arguing that transpired between my parents and me to see my grandmother standing beside her mailbox.

I grab my things, and they pull off; before I could close the door.

"Bye, Stacy! Bye, Andrew!" My grandmother called out to them with a waving hand, "Have a safe drive back!"

My grandmother pulled me into her arms and hugged me tightly.

"Well, happy birthday, Lyiabear- " She held my face, " You look so gloomy, cheer up, darling."

"It's been so long since I've seen you." I dropped my things to return the hug, "I've missed you and pa."

" Well, tomorrow you turn 18, and you can do whatever you want from then on." She let me go and began to pick up my things, "You hear me? meaning you can stay with us if you wanted."

"Yes, mama."

I smiled, and we went inside the small but welcoming home.

"Happy Birthday!" My grandfather grabbed me up into his arms, kissing my cheek. "It's been a long time, lyia-lyia."

He sat me down, and tears began to fill his eyes.

" Papa, don't cry." I pouted. "It's my birthday! We should be joyous."

"Yes, I know sweetums," He wiped his eyes, " You've gotten so big, from the last time -"

The last time I visited them, I had just turned five. It has been over thirteen years since they have seen me; other than that, we would talk over the phone or call or text.

All because of my parents. For some reason, they kept me away from them; I assume that they wish to hurt them and me.

"Look at her- she's so gorgeous." My grandfather pointed at me while looking at my grandmother, "Thirteen years because of one argument. Thirteen years we could have been in her life."

" Go cut up the fruit in the kitchen, baby," My grandmother patted his back, " Alyia has been on a long trip and probably hasn't had anything to eat. I'll take her stuff to her room."

"Well, alright." My grandfather turned and walked to the kitchen, " I'll make all of us fruit bowls."

Once he was out of sight, I looked at my grandmother-

"Is he alright?"

"Oh, he is just happy to see you, that's all." My grandmother led me down the other hall. " I know you must be tired."

" I'm tired of being around my parents." I nodded my head, "But I am excited to be here with you guys."

We walked past a bathroom and a bedroom.

"But I have a question. Why does everyone keep saying - stay safe? Or be safe?"

"Oh, you haven't heard?" My grandmother opened the door to the guest room, " We'll talk about it later. But right now, let's talk about you."

She smiled and sat all my things down at the foot of my bed.

" I remember this room." I laid back on the plush covers, " I think this was my favorite room."

The green accessories around the room to the dresser had pretty green leaves on its white background to bed,3, and the lamp that stood in the corner had the pattern of bamboo wood, which could explain why this was my favorite room. Each decor had an accent of green, which was my favorite color when I was little, yet it is still my favorite color.