Prologue

854

[Naomi]

Glimmering from above me were the warm chandeliers of the stately ballroom's high ceiling, illuminating the thinly-crowded area of high-society mingling along each others' businesses with their eyes all the colors of abysmal triumph. Everyone who's anyone was gathered in the four ivory walls of this luminescent event, striding along each others' rather counterfeit civility with their money and power stuck up their rear ends.

I was prejudiced and naive to think that the stuffed-up nobles from my home in the Island were empty-headed statues of vanity, for clearly these men were way worse. They celebrated upon yet another exploit, all gathered here again to kiss the hand of the Descendant of the Savior. In my whole four weeks of staying in this godforsaken place, I had learned to adjust my boiling wrath enough so that the overwhelming hot steam inside of me would not be visually perceivable.

And now I find myself in the middle of a chess game with the very personages responsible for my people's suffering.

"I see you've made yourself quite a match, Governor Desmond." Senator Williams, a dark-haired man of authoritarian posture remarked warmly, clasping the shoulder of my opponent from in front of me.

"Well, nothing less to expect of his most formidable opponent here, Senator." Mr. Bach replied from behind my velvet seat framed in gold, on which I sat down with all the outward comfort of a confident, undisputed chess player.

"I haven't had the pleasure to meet the object of our fascination here, now." The Senator answered with piqued interest, letting his eyes wander from the crystal white pearls perched upon my fiery auburn hair cut elegantly to only a couple of inches below my jaw, to the liberal curve of my flowing, aquamarine dress which accentuated the youthful, fair skin of my collars and shoulders.

Only breaking my studious eyes away from the chessboard for a moment's observation, I lifted them to meet the Senator's, his blue eyes flickering in awe of me, his lips behind his thin, dark mustache curving into an impressed smirk. I bowed my head courtly, and looked back onto my game with my chin perched upon my intertwined fingers.

"Indeed, what an opponent." The Senator muttered, making all the six men around us laugh. "It will be much of a blow to your pride if a woman shall beat you at the game you play best, Desmond."

Governor Desmond cleared his throat, raising an eyebrow to me. "Even more so tasteful the triumph will be, knowing it is Miss Daisy Dietrich I have shared a game with tonight."

"Ah!" Senator Williams exclaimed in realization, turning his regard to me. "I see the most illustrious lady of the season has caught me in my most unsuspecting situations, I'm afraid. A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Miss Dietrich."

Dietrich. If it weren't for my mission, I never would have worn my biological father's most atrocious name.

Concealing this hatred, I let out a light laughter as he extended his hand to take mine, and he lightly brushed his lips over my knuckles. Before I could say a word, Governor Desmond let out a low groan.

"Do continue on with your distractions, I am quite not out of my patience of you yet, Williams." He said. "I want to best my lady with her complete competitiveness, if you please."

We all shared a warm laughter, accompanied by the swaying music coming from the violin band by the corner of the glossy amber-tiled floor. Guests were still either dancing or socializing, whilst this group of intellectuals sat around a long-heated chess match.