"Don't you have school?"

"Uh.... yeah but no but yeah. Besides, I am a little concerned you didn't come to school today, are you okay? Are you feeling well? You got a bug or something??"

"I am fine, Hope. I just... didn't feel like coming to school today."

"Well, I am still coming over to check on you. So unlock your door before I get there."

"Oh! Uh... well... you see, I am not at home at the moment.."

"What? Where are you then? I thought you said you were doing some stuff. You're not home?"

"I am out.. with an old school friend of mine. So, unfortunately, we have to postpone until later in the week. Is that okay with you?"

"Is it a booooyyyyy?"

My whole mind instantly turned into regret and you could have seen it on my face. It's not like I could've lied any further, even though I dreaded to say it.

"Yesss..."

"Well, it's fine by me. Enjoy your date."

"Wait! No! It's not-" The call ended. I can just imagine all the things she's thinking and planning on asking when we see each other again.

I huffed as I ended the call, totally forgetting that Gene was also in the car.

"An old friend?"
I jumped.

"Uh..."

"From school?"

"Listen.."

"I am... but is that how you see me whenever I am around you?"

Nope.
"Shut up!"
Gene looked over at me with a confused look while still trying to keep his eyes on the road.
"No! I mean, just.." I stopped to get myself together. "That's not how I see you."

"So how do you see me?"

"I was hoping the conversation would end there," I said through gritted teeth and he laughed.

"Nah, this is interesting."
I sighed and looked out the window, ignoring him.

We finally reached the mall after that terrible car ride and started to explore. He bought us blue and green smoothies, (I had the green one) while we walked around.

From store to store we checked out what was on sale and he ended up buying some clothes for himself while I helped him pick them out. We talked, making good conversation with one another.

"Okay."
We stopped as we left the inside of a store and he turned to face me.
"Ready to eat?"

"Yeah! Where are we heading off to next?" I asked as I followed him all the way to the car hopping in, buckling the seat belt. "Are we not eating in the mall?"

"Nope. There is a restaurant nearby, that we can go to. They serve breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert but only on Fridays to Sundays." He said starting the engine, coming out of the parking spot while another driver hungrily snatched it up. "But I'll tell you when we get there."

The mall was filling up very quickly when I looked back at it. Good thing we got out of there beforehand or things would have been hectic.

When we arrived, we sat at a four-seater table as the waiter gave us our menus, greeting us very warmly for the evening.

"Soooo..." I started. He dropped his menu to look at me and the bubbles in my stomach started to form. I tried not to make too much eye contact for his eyes are very distracting. "Are you... new in town or just new to the school?"

"Both."

"Huh?"

"Um... I wasn't born here but as a kid, I moved here once and at that time, I wasn't allowed to pass the perimeter of the house. The only time I left home was to go to my mom's workplace which is here or the supermarket. We then moved back to my country and I basically lived there until after high school, where my dad moved us back here for me to do college."

"So your mom works here?"

"Worked."

"Oh.. what happened?"

"She just quit. My dad is the money maker now."

"So that's how you know about this place."

"Yeah!" He chuckled. "The first college that I went to was just horrible but I loved it and due to reasons, I got expelled and applied for your school."

"And how is your experience, so far?"

He gave it thought before replying back to me.
"I would say.. this school is a bit more classier than the previous one. I can't speak for everything because you were here way longer before me so you know more about what went on and stuff but my year seems chill."

I nod my head.

"Would you recommend the food here to anyone?"

"Sure, but at the end of the day. It's not my decision whether to continue going back to the restaurant or not."

"Well, what about me?"

"That's something you have to try out on your own." He sent a wink my way and I just rolled my eyes.

We had talked a bit more before stopping to think about what we wanted to eat and then resuming after I made a final decision.

The waiter came back to take our orders.

I ordered one garlic bread, small fries with a glass of water and patiently waited on Gene to make his. He looked towards me before looking back up at the waiter and telling her to double the order for us to share as well as a medium size soft drink just for him only.

As the waiter noted down everything, telling us our order will be here shortly. I looked over at Gene like...

What the hell!