53: 'What the fuck was I thinking?'

GAVIN

“We are one step away from closing the investigation. Wouldn’t have done it without you. Thank you, partner.” Natasha stated leaning further into the car seat.

“You’re welcome, partner.” I smilingly replied, taking a turn on the main road. The afternoon was sunny and calm.

“I’m starving. Wanna...like grab a bite or something? I know a good diner where everything is on discount.” She suggested.

“Would love to.” A retort departed my mouth.

“Great. And just to be clear this is not a date. It’s just a couple of enemies who are not in the slightest attracted to each other, having a meal without wanting to kill each other.” She clarified.

“Understood.” I stated.

“Wouldn’t want anyone else thinking we are dating or something like that.” She blurted.

“Cool.” I mumbled.

“Also, whatever Pat said about us back there was total scam. There is zero chemistry between us, In fact, it is negative zero point zero. I have better chemistry with my teddy bear than I have with you.” She added, prompting me to chuckle amusedly.

“You have a teddy bear?” I asked, amusement dancing in my voice.

“I do.” She replied.

“Let me guess, you have a name for him or her.”

“It’s a he and yes, I call him Charlie. He’s an adorable teddy. Has gotten me through many lonely nights. I love cuddling with him.” She dreamily narrated.

“Aww…that’s cute. I can almost picture you cuddling with Charlie the Teddy.” I teased and she reciprocated by punching me on the arm. “Ow.”

"That’s for mocking my best friend.” She scoffed. Silence settled between us as I navigated the traffic packed highway.

“So, do you have plans tonight?” Her question butchered the tranquil.

“Yeah. I have a movie date with my boyfriend.” At the mention of Carlito, my lips stretched into a smile and a familiar feeling took over my chest. It’s been less than a day since I last saw him and yet I miss him so much. Tonight, we have planned to go to the movies. I got us tickets for the Wakanda movie since for some reason he is obsessed with superhero movies.

“Aww… which movie will you guys be watching?”

“Wakanda Forever.”

“Phenomenal movie! Watched it when it came out and I was wowed the entire time. I cried and laughed a lot. T’Challa’s death totally broke me. Chadwick embrace the role of T’Challa really well. And Shuri, poor girl. She was going through so much pain after the loss of her brother and then her mom died…God! The biggest fucking twist was when Nakia introduced T’Challa’s kid. I was like, Omg T’Challa had a son! Holy shit!"

“Geez. Thank you so much for spoiling the entire movie.” I declared with an eye roll.

“Sorry. Got carried away.” She winced, guilt seeping from her voice.

“It’s fine. I’ll just sit in there and pretend I don’t know what’s going to happen in the movie. Plus, I have never been a fan of superhero movies. They are overrated in my opinion.” I expressed.

“No. They are the absolute best. Superman is my favourite superhero. I normally feel like Lois Lane whenever I am watching his movies. I love Batman too and Aquaman… actually, I love them all.” Excitement filled her voice while she was talking about superheroes. It was refreshing, seeing this side of hers.