fear calls upon the heart

Start from the beginning

"Fine. I'll go back. But you better make up for it when you get back!" San promised him he would before disappearing into the trees.

...

With Wooyoung no longer on his tail, San could breathe easier. It wasn't that he disliked the omega's company. In fact, he was getting rather used to it. He may not show it, but his wolf was happy that their mate had accepted them, even if they hadn't gotten much farther than that.

Still, San's reason for visiting the woods that day was different and he'd hoped Wooyoung wouldn't want to tag along. He very greatly underestimated his omega, Wooyoung flouncing to his side the second he was out the door. He'd tried to be impassive, thinking Wooyoung would grow tired of the silence. Only, it made Wooyoung more eager for answers and San had had enough.

"Fine. I'll go back. But you better make up for it when you get back!" Glad to get his omega off his back he moved faster, aiming to finish sooner now that he'd promised Wooyoung his time. He shifter mid-step, sure he'd get there quicker in his wolf form.

His paws scuffed along the dirt, trekking into the air as the thick of the forest flew by. Some of the forest critters scurried away as San came barreling through, the alpha giving into a squirrel chase to ease some of the lingering tension. Once it ran up a tree, San slowed, leaving his distraction behind to complete the task at hand.

He made it to the clearing, the pillars of rocks standing just as tall since his last visit. The carved words in the stone above stared back at him. amor enim elegit ut sis tibi*. Wise words left to them by their ancestors.

He kneeled at their feet, humming to offer his condolences. "You've brought Wooyoung to me." He began, wistful as he thought of his mate. "And I keep pushing him away." He'd come out to the forest today for advice. He'd wanted to seek help from the ancestors. "Am I wrong for doing so? For worrying that this isn't the life he truly wants." Wooyoung was still human in San's eyes. in his customs, in his upbringing, Wooyoung was different to them. To the pack.

Being mates meant more than being each other's perfect person. It mean eternal commitment. For San, there was only Wooyoung. No one else could take that spot. It was that serious.

Serious enough to make San wonder how much Wooyoung understood. Did he really believe in their fate as much as he did? Was his acceptance of being mates stemming from his own thoughts? Or his wolf's? A large part of it had to be his omega side, telling him to submit to his alpha. San wasn't sure if that excited him or not.

He bowed down to pay his respects, wondering what the ancestors will have to say. He'd have to wait for nightfall since they often talked through dreams. Spirits easily floated in and out of their subconscious.

Before long, San was standing again, offering one last bow of gratitude as he made his way back to the pack house. His night vision had taken over, sun having long since set. He walked aimlessly, that was until he remembered his promise to Wooyoung. He ran the rest of the way, finding Seonghwa on the front lawn. He looked worried. "What's wrong?"

"There's a weird smell nearby. Might be a rogue wolf, but I can't be sure because-" his statement cut off as he realized San was alone. "Where's Wooyoung?" San's brows furrowed.

"Is he not here?" The pack alpha shook his head slowly.

"No? He went with you. Why would he be here?" Panic filled them both.

"I told him to comeback! He should have been back hours ago." Suddenly, a wounded howl broke through the quiet.

...

Wooyoung should have paid better attention when he'd walked this path with Hongjoong. He was walking himself in circles, every turn looking far too similar to the one before.