fear calls upon the heart

To no one's surprise, Wooyoung began to seek San out. He ventured out of his room, day in and day out, following behind San like a puppy.

Hongjoong supposed he was a puppy, enamored by the sheer intensity of the bond. It was cute to see San so flustered by the omega. His heat had changed him, not just mentally, but physically. His body gave way to his wolf, waist getting smaller while his hips plumped up. He seemed tinier somehow, next to San. The alpha could practically engulf him in his arms if he so choosed.

But San was being careful, Hongjoong noticed. Because even after all that talk, he kept Wooyoung at a distance. The older omega wasn't fully aware of his reasons for doing so. San had been so worried that Wooyoung would never be his, and yet now. While Wooyoung wore his heart on his sleeve, San was shielding his own.

"What do you think's up with him?" The omega asked his mate. Seonghwa shrugged, the pair watching the fated couple in the distance. San had said he needed some air and Wooyoung had been quick to jump up at the opportunity to spend time with his mate. San looked like he wanted to deny it, but his resolve fell through. He'd nodded, an over eager Wooyoung tailing him as they walked into the forest.

"I think he's waiting it out for Wooyoung."

"But why? He's already accepted his feelings."

"San thinks it's Wooyoung's wolf that's doing the talking." Oh.

"He should realize Wooyoung is giving it a chance. He may not fully understand the bond as of yet, but he's getting around." Seonghwa chuckled as he wrapped an arm around his mate.

"Give it time. San will figure it out." The alpha's nose scrunched up. "I hope."

...

"Where are we going?" Wooyoung had asked San the same question at least five times with no response. He went back to his pouting, unsure why San's demeanor had changed so drastically after his heat.

It was like he'd built a front, one Wooyoung couldn't quite breakthrough. It was alarming as much as it was annoying. San had been so broken before, putting such distance between them. And yet, he continued to do it, even after Wooyoung told him he didn't have to. The omega wanted to get closer to his mate.

He supposed he could understand San's caution. Wooyoung was still assured that San's pull was stronger. Even with the strain he'd put on them, he knew San's wolf was itching to claim him. Just as much as Wooyoung's wolf wanted the same.

It was a sort of strange notion, the need to bite, but Wooyoung figured it was his wolf giving in. He wanted the bite and he wanted to give San one too. His gaze often found the alpha's neck, noting Seonghwa's bite, but otherwise bare. Something thrummed under his skin at the possibility of marking the alpha up. He wanted so bad.

San still hadn't said a word. "Are you ignoring me now?" Wooyoung's wolf was hurt. So was his pride. He didn't think San would just up and ignore him. The alpha was too quiet, however, weaving through the trees like the omega wasn't following him. Wooyoung sprinted to catch up. "Why aren't you saying anything?"

That was San's breaking point. He swiveled around, Wooyoung crashing into his chest at the sudden stop. "Wooyoung. I know you want us to get closer, but I really didn't need you following me today." Up close, the omega could see how tired he was. He frowned.

"And why not? I'm entitled to know. As your mate and all." San held the bridge of his nose, clearly exasperated.

"It's a conversation for another time. So why don't you head back for now. I won't be long." Wooyoung wanted to oppose, but San gave him a pointed look and Wooyoung's omega listened.