Chapter 3

Andy's POV

I realize that some anger must still be evident on my face, judging by Ashley's expression. I pause to collect myself and decide to risk sitting down beside him.

Of course I'm still angry. Of course I'm still emotionally injured. I want to cry more and hit something repeatedly while screaming. But I don't. It's not like I'm crazy.

Am I?

"You're fucking crazy!"

It replays in my head over and over again, getting louder and louder as I get closer and closer to Ashley's cowering form.

I want to break down. I want to go crazy and I want to attack someone.

But Ashley is my priority right now. I need to show him I'm not crazy. That I care. Attacking him would just bury everything deeper in Hell.

Ashley scrambles to the left wall of the spacious room and presses his back rigidly against the wall, panting rapidly. I gently sit down next to him.

"Ash, I-"

"Don't call me that." He snaps.

"Defiant now, are we?" I growl. Everything I'd been planning on saying before has slipped my mind.

He doesn't say anything, he just pushes his body further into the grey wall. His hand twitches.

"You should know better than that, Ashley," I meet his eyes with a pointed sideways look, "don't bite the hand that feeds you."

He looks permanently startled. It seems to me like he's having an internal war between fight and flight.

"I'm going to leave you here for a while with your thoughts. Maybe we can talk when you're ready to be a little more open minded, but trust me when I say this: If you aren't willing to cooperate, your time here will not be pleasant."

I get up calmly and turn to face Ashley. "Hopefully soon you'll understand."

I turn off the light and climb the stairs. When I'm at the doorway, I look over my shoulder into the blackness of betrayal and part with the words, "I love you," but nothing echoes back to me.

My heart sinks and I feel a twang of hurt. I want so badly to give that selfish, cruel, adorable bastard what he deserves. But I sigh and shut the door.

Ashley's POV

As soon as he leaves, I break down.

You know, you really take your life for granted until you're kidnapped by a psychopath.

I don't even try to stop the flow of tears or the very audible sobs escaping my lips. God, why must life be so cruel?

I huddle in the corner, my head on my knees and my arms around my legs. How could he love me? How could he expect me to love him?

I want to go home. I want to go back to my mediocre life. I never asked for any of this, yet I'm supposed to behave like it's some sort of treat? Yeah right.

I sob loudly. I'm so upset and terrified. I can't stop. I end up hyperventilating, and all I want is a hug. Some human closeness and comfort that I know I won't find in this cold, dark, lonely basement.

I sit alone for maybe an hour? Two? Five? I don't know, but when the door opens, I'm surprisingly relieved.

"I don't want to be alone," I cry.

"It's okay," he says to me, "I'm here."