• Chapter Four •

Start from the beginning

"Wait, what do you mean we're cooking? We came here to take the Hunter Exam," applicant #255 asks. I think his name's Todo. He's standing ahead of me, right next to Hanzo.

"That's right. The Second Phase of the Exam will be to prepare a meal that will satisfy our palates."

"Why do we have to cook?" Todo continues being a pest.

"Don't you know? It's simple really. Because we're Gourmet Hunters!"

I didn't even know that was a thing! They must eat really yummy food all the time! I'm jealous...

The rude male starts laughing and some others join in.

My ears flatten at the blatant disrespect they're showing towards the examiners. They shouldn't be laughing!

"Man, talk about a letdown."

Menchi's eyes narrow.

"So, you're both Gourmet Hunters. What exactly do you want us to make?"

Hisoka lifts his head and smirks.

"Buhara," Menchi crosses her arms.

The examiner stands tall, "Today's required ingredient will be pork!"

"Like, pig meat?" Someone whispers.

Mmm, bacon!

"Feel free to use meat from any species of pig in Visca Forest. As you see, you'll use these cooking facilities to prep your dishes. To pass this exam, you must create a dish to satisfy our discriminating palates."

I listen to his explanation as I look around at the cooking stations. It's a nice place.

"But we won't evaluating taste alone, so take this seriously. Is that clear?" Menchi adds.

I nod, trying to focus.

"When we've both eaten our fill, this portion of the Exam will be over."

Todo chuckles, "Okay, enough talk. Let's just get to it, okay?"

Did no one teach this guy manners?!

"Let the Exam's Second Phase begin!" Buhara shouts and smacks his stomach to create a loud boom.

I race out of the courtyard, following the scent of wild pigs. Only, they don't smell like normal pigs...

Once I get to where the scent is strongest, I hide behind a tree and observe my prey.

They're huge with giant snouts and angry eyes. And, to top it all off, they're chewing bones.

Woah!

I sneak up to a hog that has strayed from the rest, trying to determine its weak spot. Its snout seems to be its strongest feature, so it's best to avoid that. I take out my hatchet before maneuvering closer.

I breathe steadily, then leap onto my target.

Teeth and claws slice through the soft flesh of the pig's head and neck as the creature lets out a terrified shriek. I continue my assault until the pig is dead.

Satisfied, I swipe away the blood around my mouth, suddenly looking to my left.

Gittarackur and Hisoka stand there, their prey laying by their feet.

What really catches my attention is the fact that their eyes are fixated on me.

I smirk at them, waving slightly before taking my pig back to the cooking area.

Now's where the hard part is...

I don't know how to cook.