Semi Eita- Senpai in a Band

"You hired a band to play at your birthday?" I ask my classmate, Himari, who extends an invitation to her birthday event to me.

"Yep, so I hope you're available to come on Saturday," she smiles before she walks over to another student.

I stare at the slip of paper placed on my desk. We're only first years, so I wonder why the party is so grand. I wasn't really that close to Himari, either, so I figured she would be inviting most of the school. Attending a school as prestigious as Shiratorizawa forces one to acknowledge their more well-off classmates.

I end up sticking the invitation somewhere in my bag, it's existence already fading as I prepare for my next class. When school and clubs finally conclude, I've already forgotten about it.

I leave my clubroom after finishing a few extra things that need to be taken care of. When I peer out the hallway windows, the sun is already hiding behind the far landscape, leaving a mix of warm and dark tones in the sky.

In the music clubroom a few rooms over, the faint noises of a guitar playing spills into the hallway. The song playing isn't a familiar one, and it doesn't sound bad, either. On a curious impulse, I've already taken a few steps and have my grip on the door handle. The strumming stops and a few groans could be heard from the inside. I knock on the door and peek my head in.

Slumped on a chair with a loose grip on his guitar, a boy with thick ash blonde hair and darkened tips removes the hand on his forehead to register my appearance.

"(Y/L/N)...?" the boy shifts in the chair, straightening his posture.

"Hello Semi-senpai," I bow my head slightly, a grin at my lips, "what are you doing practicing so late?"

There's a hint of pink on his cheek as he adjusts his grip on his guitar. "There was volleyball practice today and this is the only time I can practice my music."

I nod as I take a chair to sit down beside him, "Did Tendou give you the new jump manga?"

"Yeah, it's in my bag," he rummages in his bag on the other side of his chair.

I met Tendou when we both reached for the same shounen manga at a bookstore near the school. After raving about several series together, he eventually introduced me to the volleyball club. Semi became one of the members who I would talk to more frequently.

When Semi finally pulls the manga from his bag, a few stray papers are pulled along with it. They scatter to the ground and I instantly bend down to pick them up. Semi panics, "Sorry! I can pick the rest of those up."

I settle back in my seat and start to align the papers I gathered. I catch a glimpse of what's written, surprised it's not just work from school. The papers had lyrics that were haphazardly written, several words or lines scratched out. "Semi-senpai, are you writing these for a new song?"

Semi picks his head up to look at the papers in my hands. I tilt it to him when he leans in. "Yeah. I'm having a tough time, too, as you can see," he lets out a self-pitying laugh.

I sit with my eyes focused on the lyrics. After a moment, I turn to him and point at a specific line on the paper. "Wouldn't you think this line would go better in the chorus?"

He takes in my suggestion and gives a pleased nod, "You're right, I didn't think of that." His eyes flicker to me and he smiles, "You got anything else? Help a senpai out (Y/L/N)."

I let out a small laugh, "Let's hear those chords then, Senpai."

After a while of playing around and rewriting Semi's song, we finally step out of the room. The lightless night leaves no trace of the sun as we start walking back to the dorms.