The Magic of Books and Peppermint {FilixModern!Reader}

Anon Request from Tumblr: Hello! And happy new year! I love your blog! (Especially the funny dialog posts! They really make my day when I read them!) If you're doing requests, can I ask for one between fili x fem!modern!human reader? Where Bain/Legolas is into her and makes obvious advances but Fili is in love with her too and gets super jealous so that's how the reader finds out he returns her feelings? If not that's cool too and I hope you have a great and wonderful new Year! :D

*To make the story work you are in one of those booths that has openings on either end.

A.N: So I set this around this time of year just because I'm still hanging on to that holiday mindset so I hope that's ok! Also, no, I am not addicted to peppermint drinks, why on earth would you think that? Anyways, thank you for the request lovely Anon! I've never written modern au before and I had a lot of fun with it. I hope you like it and that you are having a wonderful start to 2021!

Word Count: 2,398

Pairing: Fili x Fem!Modern!Human! Reader

Summary: Fili gets jealous of Bain's attention towards you.

Warnings: Unwanted romantic advances, fluff, some angst, jealousy.

****

The Magic of Books and Peppermint

You slid into the coffee shop booth, peppermint mocha in hand, and, upon taking a sip, sighed in happiness. December was your favorite time of year, not just because you got to come home, but mainly because coffee shops sold peppermint flavored drinks. Sure, it was nice to see your family and get a break from college, but man, peppermint mochas were good. Kili, one of your best friends, laughed at you from the other side of the table, as his brother Fili tried to take the cup away from you with little success. You had known them since you were five, they had moved in next door with their uncle while their mom was away, and you had been best friends ever since.

"Y/N," Kili commented, "I honestly don't think it's good to consume that much caffeine and sugar." "What are you talking about?" you answered. "This is only my fourth drink of the day, and one of them was a peppermint hot cocoa!" Fili and Kili just shook their heads at you as the "Ding!" of the bell at the door announced the arrival of Legolas and Bain, completing your little group. Bain and Fili were older than you, Legolas, and Kili, but somehow the four of them had taken you into their group when you had become friends with Kili in seventh grade. Legolas swung a chair around to sit at the head of the booth, and Bain slid in next to you and slung his arm around your shoulders, prompting a glare from Fili which you missed. Bain had become increasingly touchy-feely every time you returned home from college, and you were unsure why. You figured it was probably just because he missed you, but you never saw him act the same with Fili, who was a year ahead of you at the same out-of-state college.

"Bain, Legolas, tell Y/N she drinks too much sugar," Kili demanded. "Why?" Legolas wanted to know. "It's eleven in the morning, she can't have had too much already." "This is her fourth drink today!" Fili exclaimed, looking exasperated. "That's it, Y/N," Legolas snatched your cup out of your hand and slid it across the table to Kili, who chugged it with a smug look on his face. "You're going to join me in a sugar-free lifestyle." You sighed. Legolas had been sugar-free since your freshman year of high school, as he wanted to stay fit for sports. It had paid off, he had gotten a full scholarship for gymnastics, but you sometimes thought he went a little overboard. Kili had also gone to college on an athletic scholarship, for basketball, but as evidenced by the fact that he had just chugged your entire mocha, he was not on any sort of health kick, nor had he ever been. "I will consider going sugar-free after New Year's," you told Legolas. "But after New Year's we all go away again and I won't be able to keep tabs on you!" he exclaimed. "That's exactly the point, Legolas," you leaned back with a smug look on your face. "Well, I don't think Y/N needs to do anything of the sort," Bain interjected, "She's gorgeous as is!" A tad uncomfortable at this statement, you shrugged out from under his arm, missing the disappointed look on his face, but noticing the slightly triumphant look on Fili's, as you did so.