Chapter 13

Everything around me moved in slow motion. The old man who was most likely the butler watched with amusement in his gaze, Bruce's eyes were wide enough that for a moment I thought they were going to come out of his sockets, Robin was teary faced but one look at him could tell that he was determined. To do what? I have no idea. And me? I was f###ing terrified.

In a matter of seconds, Bruce's hand shot forward to catch Robin but even I knew he couldn't catch him in time. I was sure my eyebrows were bursting out of my forehead to my hairline, I saw Robin's lips turn up… and wait… IS THAT A SMILE? 

The smile turned into a sh!t eating grin as he collapsed into me. And that hurt like hell.

"URGHHHHHHH!" I couldn't help the groan that escaped me. 

I opened my eyes and blinked. Then rubbed my eyes. Shook my head. What the flying f###? Boy wonder was-...... HUGGING ME?

"You got me a brother!" He beamed at Batman or Bruce Wayne. 

Bruce let out a sigh of relief. To be honest, it was very strange to see anything other than a scowl or that evil-smirk of his on his face. He looked…. so expressive? He pinched the Bridge of his nose.

I tore my gaze away from him when I felt arms around me tighten. LET ME FU**ING BREATHE YOU FREAK! 

"F*** LET GO ROBIN!" He seemed to realise his mistake when he got up and stepped away from me. His overly enthusiastic face gave me creeps as his eyes were still red like he had spent his whole night crying. 

Batman cleared his throat. "Alfred please give him a room-" 

Before he could finish I heard a voice on my left and I nearly jumped out of my skin when I turned. Alfred in all his glory stood there, unbothered by the stiffness and tension in the room.

"Young master, I will escort you to your room and draw you a bath. You seem very tense. It might help you relax. After you freshen up, you can have some hot chocolate to calm your nerves." 

I nodded, squared my shoulders and sighed. "F*** I do smell." I muttered under my breath. I silently followed after Alfred.

We reached a staircase, I looked at the endless stairs with a detestable face like well…

My train of thoughts was cut by Alfred as he looked at me and raised an eyebrow. That confused me. What can I do? No sh!t I'm exhausted and I don't know if I can make it up in one piece. 

To my surprise, Alfred turned and walked in another direction. I couldn't help the frown on my face. He touched a button and the wall opened to reveal a small room. 'Elevator' I recalled. Alfred gave me a look and stood there like a f***ing statue. He isn't even moving? 

"Young master, I suggest we get moving if we want to make it up this year." Wow he has a sense of humor. I let out a breath and moved inside. I kept my guard up, not wanting to take any chances.

When we stepped out, I swear my jaw hit the floor. This is not a house? This is a f***ing palace. These rich pigs….

I silently followed Alfred like a chick following the mother hen. I repeatedly looked around my shoulders and tried my best to not let the awe show on my face. I gritted my teeth. The place was modern, nothing like I had ever seen. The floor was sparkling black, the furniture was well kept, shining like new. It made him wonder who cleaned this whole house. It must be very big and they have made plenty of turns but he still hasn't seen a single servant or a maid for the fact. 

Alfred stopped in front of a very polished door. Even the door looked more expensive than my clothes. The jingling of keys echoes throughout the house. The house was empty and cold, no life evident there. Maybe the servants went home for the night?  

The door opened without any noise. I hesitated a little but stepped inside. The bed was big enough to fit five of me. The room was dark red coloured, a small window on the side where I could see the garden from (from the looks of it this place has sh!t loads of rooms), the floor squeaky clean, a large piece of furniture on my left and another door on my right.

Alfred opened the door to show a very big bathroom. Who needs a bathroom this big? I observed my surroundings for some kind of escape route and threats. The knife in my boot reminding me that I'm in the house of a stranger, a dangerous stranger who can kill me and no one would care. 

"Young master, your bath is ready, would you like me to assist you?" I looked at him as he gestured to the bathtub. I tensed and shook my head. 

"Very well then. Enjoy your bath, leave your clothes on top of the sink. Fresh clothes will be on your bed." With that he turned and left the room.

I carefully assessed the room and stripped. I put everything away and got inside the bathtub. Strangely enough the bath was filled with bubbles and it smelled sweet? I don't know what type of scent it was but I felt my shoulders lose the tension they once held. It was relaxing. I scrubbed myself clean and closed my eyes. For some reason it felt safe.

Safe….

With that thought I drifted off.