• Chapter Two •

Start from the beginning

I keep pace just fine, now running next to him. This is the most fun I've had in a while.

Full of pent up energy, I force myself to slow down and drift towards the back of the crowd because I want to meet those three people I noticed a while ago.

"Hi!" I chirp, greeting the boys as I bound beside them.

"Hi!" The spiky-haired one says, matching my energy, "I'm Gon!"

"I'm Y/n, nice to meet you, Gon!"

"That's Leorio and Kurapika," Gon introduces his friends, pointing to them.

"Hi," I smile. "How old are you Gon? I hope you don't mind my asking, but you seem young."

"I'm twelve years old!"

I look at Gon incredulously, "Wow, you are young!"

"How old are you, Y/n-san?" He asks me innocently.

Leorio smacks him, "You don't ask a lady her age, Gon!"

"It's only fair, seeing as I asked him first," I point out. "I'm twenty. I've been told I look younger than I am, though."

I stick out my tongue and giggle at their shocked expressions. Clearly, they thought I was younger.

"You look great!" Leorio blurts out of the blue.

Smiling, I angle my head, ears flopping to the side, "Do I?"

His nose starts bleeding at my actions, nodding furiously.

The boys stare at me, sharing a singular thought: 'So cute!'.

Ahead of me, I spot Hanzo's shining head like a beacon amidst the waves of humans.

"Got to go guys, I'll see you later! Good luck!" I cheer, dashing off to race next to the ninja.

They yell the phrase back as they lose sight of me.

"Hey, Hanzo!"

He looks over to me, "Hey."

"This is pretty easy so far, huh? I thought it might be harder," I chatter idly with a broad smile.

Hanzo doesn't even look at me, "Yes, I thought so too."

I frown at his curt manner of speech, "Did I do something wrong?"

"You're taking the Hunter Exam lightly. You didn't even know what it was until I told you," he points out.

"So? That doesn't mean I think it's stupid or something," I defend, confused at his sudden displeasure. "I thought it'd be fun."

"Exactly. You have no real reason to become a Hunter, unlike me. I am going to become a Hunter in order to find the legendary ninja scroll."

Ears flat against my head, I scowl, "I think you're being unfair. Assuming that my participation means less because I'm doing it for fun. Alrighty, Mister Holier-Than-Thou, let's just see who passes this examination."

I speed off before he can answer, my mood spoiled yet again. Why do people keep treating me poorly?

Behind me, I notice Leorio getting into an argument with a white-haired kid about the use of his skateboard. Gon points out that it's not cheating because he's still following the examiner.

I turn away from them, still ticked off.

A rattling noise alerts me to the presence of Gittarackur as I run up to him.

"Mind if I run next to you?"

He doesn't speak, something I've come to expect from the weird guy.

•••

Two hours pass.

I'm not tired or anything, but boy oh boy am I bored as all heck. Turns out, my pinheaded friend isn't a great traveling companion. He's hardly said a word to me this whole time.

I have observed Tonpa and the three brothers doing what they refer to as 'crushing rookies'. Most notably, a kid with a computer.

Rolling my eyes, I stare at the ceiling as my legs propel me forward.

I smack into something, whining at the sudden flare of pain on my face.

Looking back at me is the magician Hisoka.

I grin, "Hey, Hiso-kun! Sorry, I was distracted again."

"I thought you promised not to do that again. Or is my charm too irresistible~?"

My face heats up from embarrassment, "Sumimasen!"

He chuckles, a sound that sends shivers down my spine, "Hmm~ You didn't deny it."

"Uh, I, uh-" I can't think of a rebuttal.

There's no denying: Hisoka is very handsome and charming. Even if he's dangerous.

Falling into silence, I simply run next to a grinning Hisoka, Hanzo now close by as well.

Moving away from the ninja, I find myself sandwiched between Gittarackur and Hisoka, not that I mind

Up ahead, an impressive staircase stretches forwards.

My face scrunches in distaste.

I'm not a fan of stairs.

"We've reached the eighty Kilometer mark. Now, let's pick up the pace a bit, shall we?" Satotz starts bounding up the stairs like it's no big deal.

Hanzo, located right at the front of the pack, comments on it.

I notice Gon and the white-haired boy named Killua (I overheard his name as we were running).

Grinning, I tap their shoulders, "Race ya to the finish!"

Gon grins back but Killua looks at me skeptically. Gon notices.

"Oh, Killua, this is Y/n! Y/n, this is Killua."

"Hi," I greet.

He just nods at me.

"So, race?"

They turn to look at me and nod, "Sure!"

"But, the loser buys the others dinner!" Gon shouts.

"It's on!" I laugh, initiating the race by springing forwards.

In the not so distant distance, I see the literal light at the end of the tunnel.

Satotz reaches the top just before Gon, Killua, and I make it.

The boys start arguing loudly about who's buying dinner as I laugh.

"Hey, which one of us was first?" Gon asks the examiner.

"You all crossed their finish line simultaneously."

Gon frowns, trying to figure it out.

I shake my head, "Don't overthink it, Gon. I'll buy both your dinners."

"But that's not fair!"

"Life's not fair," I reply, ruffling his hair.

"Satotz-san, is this where the Second Phase happens?"

"No, we still have quite a ways to go."