A Visionary's First Day

Start from the beginning

Looks like I should find an open seat. Hopefully, everyone is present. I haven't been a student in a while. That seat must open!

A student sits down in the seat.

How about that

A student sits down in the seat.

Maybe there

A student sits down in the seat.

...

...

LOOK'S LIKE I DON'T HAVE A CHOICE!

Shulk makes a mad dash to a seat near the window and quickly sits down.

Phew, I made it. I hope my math skills have survived the four years since my school days.

Unwisely, Shulk let his guard down, as he slowly spaced out with someone right in front of him. A girl in the school uniform approaches Shulk, crossing her arms.

"Excuse me, you're in my seat." Shulk flinches and looks at the girl speaking to him.

Yikes! What do I do? I should just say sorry and find another seat without drawing attention...

"O-oh, sorry, I'll just be on my way."

"I don't remember you. Are you a new kid?"

"Um, yeah."

I need to stay calm. Touma's reputation is probably riding on what I do here...

"My name is Aisa Himegami," the girl greets. "What's yours?"

"Uhhhh, I'm..." Shulk looks for something on his person.

"You need a cover name, Shulk. Do you have a last name?" Touma and Shulk sit at the small table in the Kamijou Residence.

"Where we come from, we don't really have...last names...What do they mean to people?"

"Well, they tell people who your parents are."

"So your parents have the same last name? Do people with matching last names have to get married?"

"It's more like you get married and you can get the other person's last name, keep your last name, or make a fusion of your last names."

"Hm." Shulk begins thinking hard.

"What's up?"

"For example, you and Mikoto would be Misakijou?"

"...I think I just felt a random jolt of static."

"...Me too."

"Anyways, back to names. Let's start with the last name since you don't have one."

Touma quickly scrawls something on a piece of paper. On the paper, there are multiple names written in Japanese kanji. Shulk closely inspects these words.

"I recognize these symbols," he mentions.

Touma raises an eyebrow.

"You can understand Japanese?" he questions.

"Is that what it's called? In my world, it was an ancient language used by the old civilizations. I wanted to learn the language to read some ancient ruin engravings. Someone taught it to me over a few months, and I was fluent after about four."

"Four MONTHS?" Touma's jaw drops. "Ah, what does it matter. Which of these names seems the most comfortable to you?"

Shulk looks down at the paper.

"Maeda, Hisakawa...What about Kanzaki? The first symbol means 'god', and the second one means 'peninsula'."

"We call those symbols 'kanji' in Japan. If that's the name you like, it should work."