Chapter 3 - The jacket

'Mate ! I've been calling you for hours but it goes straight to voicemail, what the hell ?' Niall yells as soon as he enters the bakery, reminding his friend of the day before.

Harry hasn't been able to sleep since yesterday. Not only did he had the strangest encounter with a married man, he couldn't even call his friend to tell him everything. He's been thinking about his phone, his jacket and mostly Louis.

What was it that was so intense between them they found themselves inches apart like that ? What is it about this stranger he can't get out of his mind ?

'Sorry Niall, I don't have my phone. I have to tell you something.' Before Harry can explain himself, the bell rings, indicating a new customer. Harry's jaw drops when he sees him, jacket in hand. He's in a pair of jeans, a hoodie and black Vans, far from the business man of yesterday. Even his quiff is nowhere to be seen, just a loose fringe across his forehead, hair tucked in the green hood.

'Harry ?' He tries, shy.

'Louis ? Hi.' Harry smiles, not sure about what else to do. The man he's been thinking about all night is staring at him and he has no idea what to do, or say, or puke into.

'Yeah. Brought your jacket back !' The man says with a big smile and waves at Niall who's watching their interaction.

'Thanks.' Harry nods and gestures for Niall to leave them alone by tilting his head toward the back shop.

'Well, I have things to do ! I work here so I do. Um, goodbye Sir.' Niall is the worst liar ever but Louis doesn't notice. He's too focused on Harry's eyes to care about the blond lad.

'It's nice to see you. Already back to work, huh ?' Louis says and Harry can't get his eyes to stop staring.

'Yeah. My boss said I didn't die so I could make it to work. He's an asshole.' Louis chuckles and walks towards Harry who's leaning against the counter.

'Here. It helped a lot. Sorry I forgot to give it back.' Louis said but wouldn't hand the thing, like he didn't want to let go of it.

'It's alright. Suits you better than me anyway.' And oh wow did he really say that ?

Louis is blushing. Harry can't believe his eyes. Louis is actually blushing.

'How's your wife ?' Harry quickly adds, breaking the growing silence between them.

'Um...good.' Louis says briefly before turning to look at the pastries. ' Can I get a baguette and two croissants please ?'

'Sure !' Harry says with a dopey smile and begins his task. He packs the croissants in a brown bag he gives to Louis but the man shakes his head.

'Oh no, the second one is for you.' He says and seems nervous. He waits a few seconds before adding ' Can we talk ?'

'Thanks but you do know I work here, right ? I can get them everyday ? And I have a lot to do today, my boss yelled at me for not showing up yesterday after the shooting. Sorry' Maybe avoiding being alone with this man would prevent him from thinking too much about him, he thought. It's not like he had thought about him in any particular way really. He hadn't imagine him in his suit, or behind a big wooden desk, or on top of him. Absolutely not.

'What a great boss.' Louis says and plays with his fingers, looking down at his feet before looking back up at Harry. 'After your shift then ?' If he wasn't such a proud man Harry would think the guy is begging.

'Um, alright. I finish at six. You can stop by if you want.'

'What about a drink ?'