Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

I quickly turned my head, hearing the familiar footsteps of someone I know all too well. Victoria saw me and was casually walking towards me, her hands in her hoodie pocket. “Niall,” she said once she reached me.

“Victoria.”

She sat next to me on the cold ground. “Was running away really necessary?”

I turned my head to look at her. “How is it that you know everything?”

“I’m a witch, we know things. You still didn’t answer my question.”

“Yes it was necessary. You didn’t see the scariness in her eyes like I did. She thinks I’m a monster.”

She shoved me a little. “That’s not how these things work. I knew she was coming but I didn’t think she was coming this soon. And being that Lilly is gone, I thought that I should just hide for a while. But when I saw her coming, I had to of course find you. I can’t see her decisions like I can see yours and everyone else’s. I also can’t see Andy’s.”

“You know about her?”

“Like I told you, we know things. How long did you think you could hide her from the world?”

I shrugged. “Just until her growing stops or at least slows down.”

She smiled. “It’s slowed down about a week ago. She’s looking about 5 or 6 right now. I still don’t know how they work. But getting back on the topic of Hanna; when are you planning on telling her?”

I scoffed. “Shouldn’t you already know this?”

“No because you haven’t made a decision yet. When are you telling her?”

I rubbed my face. “I don’t know. I just met her.”

“Did you really? I know you know everything about her.”

I shook my head. “Not everything. I know she’s hiding something and it’s not my place to find out.”

“But you want to know what it is, don’t you?” I nodded my head. “Well,” she said while standing up. “You’re in luck. I know what she’s hiding.”

I stood up too. “You do?” She rolled her eyes at me. “Oh yeah, of course you do.”

“Do you really want to know?”

I pondered her question for a minute. I knew that I should have Hanna tell me herself and that I’m really not good with keeping things from people. I still didn’t know what to do. Part of me wanted to know about her past and the other part wanted her to tell me herself. I looked down at my feet. “I…um…”

“You want her to tell you.” I nodded my head. “Then I guess you’re going to find out now.”

“What?”

“Niall?” I turned around and saw that Hanna was behind me, looking quite sad. I turned back around to Victoria but found out that she was no longer there. Sometimes I really do hate witches.

“Hanna,” I said turning around with my hand on the back of my neck.

“Why did you run off like that?”

“I…um…” I sighed. It’s now or never, Niall. “I panicked.” I slid down the wall once again.

She came over and sat next to me, her shoulder rubbing against mine. “Why did you panic? Did I do something or-“

I shook my head. “You didn’t do anything. You’re perfect.” I looked over at her and she just smiled at me. “There’s just…” I looked back at my knees that were pulled up to my chest. “Things that you don’t know.”