3

FLASHBACK
SEPTEMBER, 1994

I finish up brushing my teeth and begin to walk towards my room. Luke and I had been writing music all day and I was exhausted. I crash onto my bed and almost instantly fall asleep, until I hear a knock on my window. I knew it was Luke and as much as I loved his company, I hated knowing that the reason he was here was because of the problems he has going on with his parents.

I open my window and am instantly engulfed into a hug. I wrap my arms around Luke tightly knowing that he just needed someone to be there for him at that moment. I suddenly felt something wet on my shoulder. He was crying. This made me frown. He's my best friend and I hate that he's going through this.

"Luke, do you want to talk about it?" I ask while rubbing my hand on his back. He pulls away a bit to look into my eyes. His green eyes burning into my hazel ones. I lift my hand up to his cheek and wipe his tears. "I just don't want to be alone tonight, please Kels." He starts to beg, but before he could continue begging, I interrupt and say, "Of course Luke, I'm always here for you." I break the eye contact and pull away from the hug. I walk towards my bed plopping onto it and moving to the side so that there was room for him.

He looks at me confused, I pat down on the empty spot next to me. The brown haired boy walks towards the bed slowly and sits down beside me. I turn to face him, sitting with my legs crossed. "Luke, I don't know what happened tonight, but I just want you to know that you're never alone, you have me and the rest of Sunset Curve." I reassure him. Luke responds with a small smile, his head still playing back to the event that had occurred earlier that evening.

"You know what? Let's go out!" I say standing up and walking towards my closet. "Huh? Kelsey it's almost midnight." Luke furrows his brows. "And what about it?" I laugh. I find a pair of denim shorts and pair it with a red crop top. "Uh Luke.. I kinda need to change." I awkwardly say to him. "So change, I'm not stopping you." Luke jokingly says. "Luke! You're so gross." I laugh as I slap his arm with the shorts. "Ok, ok I got it." He laughs as well, walking towards the window and then making his way down the tree.

I quickly change out of my comfortable pajamas and change into my outfit. I walk towards my vanity, hopping to fix up my hair a little. As I'm fixing my hair, I notice a faint hint of blush on my face, most likely the result of Luke's flirty comment a few minutes ago. The sudden sound of a rock hitting my window makes me jump up and remember what I was doing.

"How the hell do you go up and down this tree so easily?" I complain as I climb down the tree. I'm only inches away from the ground before I fall. I land on my butt and as I look to the side I see Luke almost in tears from laughing so hard. "I don't see what's so funny." I roll my eyes at him as he eventually calms down and helps me up. "Everything about that was funny." Luke continues to laugh, but suddenly stops.

I turn to see what's wrong and I'm met with Luke's eyes scanning my body up and down. Why is he looking at me like that? Is there dirt on my outfit somewhere? I look down and see that there's nothing wrong with my outfit. Luke let's out a cough as I look back up at him in confusion. "So where we going boss?" He asks. "Well, I wanna show you where I go when things get tough and I just need time to think." I say as I grab his hand and we start walking.

We arrive at the beach just by Reggie's house, Luke and I are still holding hands, I silently hope he doesn't let go. "What are we doing here Kels?" Luke asks with a hint of impatience in his voice. "Sit down and watch the stars with me." I tell him as I let go of his hand and sit down on the sand, staring up at the night time sky. It was one of the cooler nights in September.