Chapter 66

The lights were bright in my eyes and I could hear chattering around me. I couldn't pick out any voices though. "Can someone turn the lights off? They're hurting my head." There was silence and then more rustling. I blinked my eyes open and found a room full of people in front of me. Everything was blurry at first.

"Hey bug..." She got close to my face and pushed my hair away from it. She had a soft expression but it was riddled with sadness.

"What happened? Where's Harry?" Everyone was silent and no one was answering my questions. I didn't understand why no one was answering my questions. The door opened and Anne and Gemma walked in. They were missing Cece.. Kira walked in behind them and fear crept up my throat. "Where the hell is Skylar?"

"She's at your house with Kimmy. Cece is there too. She's okay, Charlie." Kira stood behind my mom, trying to assure me that my daughter was okay. But no one was talking about Harry.

"Mom, what's going on?" She opened her mouth again, tears brimming in her eyes, but the door opened again and a doctor walked in. She was wearing a scrub cap and a grim look.

"Hi, Charlie. How are you feeling? Any pain?" She checked over my vitals and listened to my heart with her stethoscope. It was cold against my chest.

"A little, but I'm more concerned about my husband." The silence in the room shifted.

"I've been attending to Harry as well." She opened her mouth to say more, but I cut her off. I had a gross feeling in my soul.

"Where is he? Can I see him? I need to see him."

"Charlie-"

"No, no more talking. I need to see him." I tried to sit up, but it hurt too much. "Some get me a goddamn wheelchair and take me to my husband."

"Bug, you need to listen to the doctor." My mom put her hand on my arm. Her voice was low and a sadness lingered in it. "You need to listen to her."

I looked back to her and I could feel what she was going to tell me before it even left her mouth.

"Harry sustained a lot of injuries when you crashed. He hit his head on the window when the car flipped and the force from the hit broke a vessel in his brain. We were able to stop it, but there was another small one that we couldn't find. His brain went without oxygen for too long. His injuries were just too much for his body to handle and all his brain activity stopped. We have him hooked up to ventilator for now since we were waiting for you to wake up. We did everything we could, Charlie. I'm very sorry."

All I could do was stare at her. A blank stare.

"No."

"Bug-"

"No! I said no! You're not telling me he's brain dead right now. You're not telling me that I'm not going to hear him talk ever again. He's only 30. He has a daughter. We have a daughter. She's too young. You're not going to come in here and suddenly tell me that he's dead. You're going to get me a goddamn wheelchair and you're going to take me to him."

"Charlie." Anne spoke up for the first time since she'd come in to the room. She came over to me and sat on the edge of the bed. "I was just with him, love. It's real. It's happening.

It felt like the air was being sucked out of my lungs. I couldn't breathe or focus on anything in front of me. I couldn't see.

"But what about Skylar? What about me? He told me told me we had plenty. We're supposed to have plenty of time. I can't do this without him, I don't want to." My eyes had been filling since Anne started talking. She was a blurred vision in front of me. I looked to my mom and saw her crying. Seeing her and Anne crying at the same time was the catalyst that pushed my tears over the edge.