10

Around two hours had passed; it was now noon and Lucretia noticed how her stomach began to growl in need of food.

"Caroline?" she whispered as her roommate was sitting across from her on an upholstered chair. Her roommate looked up from her magazine to acknowledge her. "Could you go get the crutches? I think they're in the back of the coat closet." Lucretia asked as she pointed to the closet that was halfway visible from where they sat. She made sure to stay quiet as the Undertaker was fast asleep beside her; his light snoring indicated his exhaustion.

"Sure," Caroline got up and retrieved the crutches within a few minutes and brought them back to her.

"Thanks," she positioned herself properly and got up, leaning onto the crutches. Lucretia crutched to the kitchen as quiet as possible and opened the fridge, searching for something for everyone to eat.

Her eyes landed on a half finished pot full of butternut squash soup—one of her and Caroline's favorites to cook during the cold months. Lucretia carefully reached down and picked up the pot and set it on the stove top right beside her. She lifted the lid, examining the soup to determine if it was enough for her, her roommate and her boss. There was plenty for everyone to get seconds as well.

Once the soup has warmed up considerably, Lucretia made her way back to the couch to rest. The soup was fine to simmer until Undertaker woke up.

She gently eased herself back in her spot on the couch, making Undertaker shift slightly in response. He sniffled and repositioned how he laid before settling back down. Lucretia watched cautiously, praying she didn't wake him up. After she watched him for any signs of stirring, she smiled at his peaceful face, at least, the half she could see. His mouth was slightly agape as he rested his head on the two stacked pillows and Lucretia found the juvenility of it...cute. She couldn't find another word to describe it other than that, especially because 'cute' wasn't really a word that was associated with this mortician.

Lucretia and Caroline had been watching TV and carrying on rambling quiet conversations for around another hour based off of the TV's program schedule.

Lucretia paused her sentence as she felt the couch cushions shift beside her, and she looked to see her boss stirring.

With a yawn, the Undertaker sat up on the couch somewhat slowly. He stretched and asked, "My, what is that wonderful smell?" He carefully combed his fingers through his hair.

"I warmed up some soup that Caroline and I made the other day." She answered with a smile, relieved to see he was well rested. "I'll go fix us all a bowl."

Lucretia grabbed her crutches and lifted herself up to the kitchen and carefully made a bowl of soup for everyone.

"Uh," she chuckled a bit nervously. "Could you guys come get your bowl?"

"Sure," Caroline got up and retrieved her bowl and thanked her roommate for fixing dinner before returning to the living room.

Lucretia watched Undertaker as he walked into the kitchen, still groggy from his nap. "I uh didn't think this through. I can't carry my bowl and use my crutches."

"That's alright," Undertaker smiled and gently took the crutches from her. Almost immediately he caught her, his strong hand splayed across her back to hold her up, firm enough to reassure her that he wasn't going anywhere. "Come, now." He swept her from the ground, back to carrying her in the same bridal position as he had done so many times today already.

Lucretia stared at her lap as she firmly held onto his shoulders, desperately trying to fend off the redness building on her features.

"Would you grab our bowls?" he asked as he leaned her closer to the counter.

With a silent nod, she complied, holding one bowl in each hand, that she had thoughtfully already put spoons in. Undertaker made sure she was holding the bowls steadily enough before he walked back to the couch with her, and gracefully set her back down in her spot.

"Here you go," Lucretia handed him the bowl in her left hand once he sat down. She set her bowl on the side table to the right.

"Thank you darling, it smells wonderful, though I can't say I'm very hungry," Undertaker commented before blowing on the spoonful of hot soup to cool it off before eating.

Lucretia picked her bowl back up and stirred the soup with her spoon, "Don't be silly. You could use something other than cookies all the time, Undertaker." She replied cooly, knowing well enough that he hardly cared about what he ate.

"Thank you for the warm meal, both of you," Undertaker gave his apprentice a genuine smile when she looked over at him.

The Undertaker, though he didn't necessarily need to eat, was unable to remember the last time someone had worried about what he ate.

"You too, Caroline," Lucretia ate a spoonful of soul before continuing, "eat before it gets cold. I'm certain you haven't had breakfast either."

Without batting an eye, she returned to her eating.

Shouldn't we be the ones worrying about her? Undertaker considered the irony of his apprentice—how she was not in the least bit concerned about her near death experience, but prioritized what he and her roommate had or had not eaten recently.

"I doubt you have either," Caroline poked at Lucretia.

"Well yeah I slept most of the morning," Lucretia shrugged. "Stop worrying. I have regular eating habits unlike the two of you clowns." She joked and pointed her spoon at Caroline and Undertaker.

With a slight chuckle, Undertaker returned to his meal, grateful to experience such care that was rare to him.