9: The Morning After May Never Come Again

Coming through the door of the apartment ironically resembled a newly married couple crossing the threshold. Lucretia held onto the Undertaker by his shoulders, wrapping her arms around his neck as he kicked the door shut with his foot.

"You can set me down there if you want," she pointed to the couch in her and her roommate's small living area with a coffee table and a small t.v.

As much as I'd hate to let you go, "Of course dearie," he chuckled and laid her down gently on the couch, adjusting the pillow underneath her.

"Would you like something to eat-" she started, pointing to the small kitchen but was cut off.

"What the fuck happened?!" Caroline nearly squealed, running over to her roommate. She knelt beside the couch and looked over the girl who looked like a real trainwreck to be frank.

"Uh, I just got hurt is all," she shrugged.

"No, you got pretty badly hurt," Undertaker corrected her and moved aside to let her see Lucretia.

"It's okay, Jesus, he already babied me about it," Lucretia laughed as she gently pushed away her hands that examined her cuts and scrapes.

"Yes, dearie, I stitched her up so she'll be as good as new in a few weeks," Undertaker smiled at her roommate.

"Undertaker please, sit and rest for a while. I know you stayed up watching me all night," Lucretia curled her legs towards herself and made room for him on the couch.

"I-I don't even know how this happened," Caroline prodded, flabbergasted as she ran a hand through her raven hair.

"It's okay," Lucretia grabbed her hand, "I agreed to help someone but I got hurt. Let's just say we'll have rent taken care of for quite some time." She chuckled and paused. "But I assure you I'm not taking any more jobs like that."

"Good," the Undertaker and Lucretia's roommate said in unison.

"I apologize, we haven't met before have we?" Caroline made her way to the Undertaker and shook his hand. "I'm Caroline, Lucretia's roommate if you couldn't already tell."

"And I'm the Undertaker," he giggled.

"Yes," Caroline said with a grin, "your reputation proceeds you." She made her way to the kitchen to start a pot of tea for everyone.

"Is that so?" he chuckled and looked to Lucretia for confirmation, resting his hand on her knee. She only shrugged in response.

"Yeah, Lucretia talks about you sometimes," Caroline snickered.

"Thank you, that's enough, no need to kick me while I'm already down, and a cripple," Lucretia groaned and her joke made the Undertaker howl with laughter.

"Fine," Caroline spoke in a sing-song voice.

Not long after, the tea kettle whistled and Caroline took it off the heat to steep the tea bags.

"I assume the boy's butler will come to pay you but if I'm not here when he does, do send him my way dearie," Undertaker watched Lucretia make an attempt to sit up on the couch.

"Sure, why?" she finally sat up with an exhausted sigh. The Undertaker just chuckled and responded that it was nothing.

"Lucy, do you want any tea?" Caroline asked as she came back to where she was sitting with the Undertaker. She nodded and Caroline looked to her boss.

"Of course dearie, put lots of sugar in mine," he giggled.

"Alright," Caroline chuckled and walked back to the kitchen to get the milk and sugar. "Those two...what a pair," she spoke to herself.