Chapter Eleven

She took the white paper and fed it through the shredding machine. He had almost had her neck for leaving it till this time, even made some threats on their deal. Idiot!

     As she turned back to her table to continue her job, she noticed the black and white Camry with sirens, drive into the parking lot.

     Pushing the button for the reception, she was connected through to Siah.

   "Hello Dr Anderson. How's-"

     Let Siah drag you into a conversation, and you risked your ears falling off. "Siah, I'm going out from my lunch break."

     Taking her hand off the button, she quickly gathered her things, picked up the yellow Manila, and headed for the door. Maybe she could make it out before they came up.

     Before she left, another pink file caught her eyes. It would do no good to leave it lying around, especially with those two.

     She grabbed it quickly and, seeing no other place fit enough to store it away, she shoved it into the leather designers in her hand, a luxury she could afford thanks to her partner.

     Walking out, she slammed it shut and made her way down the hall. She hurried, hoping to avoid those two nuisances completely.

     Her face fell when they stepped out of the elevator, and directly onto her path, but her steps remained the same, without faltering, walking straight ahead.

     They came to a stop directly in front of each other, and before she could even open her mouth grace them with a snarky comment, Gabriel reached awkwardly and hugged her.

     Was that him trying to trick her into being friendly with them, or was it him still holding onto feelings from the past?

   "Andy," came his bright, smiling voice, useless to get on her good side in this conversation.

     Before she could reply, or even return his greeting, his partner, eager to make her introductions, moved in front of him and opened her mouth.

     "We wanted to have look at the forensic reports again, if that's okay with you." Charlie spoke, looking her straight in the eye.

     Troublemaker, rash, naive, careless, and now rude? This partner of Gabriel's was someone she would hate to work with.

   "I wonder why cops always think the puzzle will piece itself back together if they just take a second look," she said, not hiding her bemusement, goading her on.

     The girl looked quick-tempered, and if given the right fuel, would explode in her face, giving her just enough reason to dismiss her for being disrespectful.

   "It sometimes does, Andy. I guess you have to be a cop to fully understand our strange habits." This one was a cat fighter, unfortunately, she wasn't one to waste time bickering.

     Besides, she thought to herself with a quick glance to her fancy bag, and another to the girls faded t-shirt, she wouldn't switch professions even if her stepmother's life depended on it.

   "I guess that means your not smart enough to comprehend things at first glance. Isn't there a medical term for that 'condition'?"

     Deciding she had fed the fire well enough, she reached into the bag and rummaged through the files. Her hands glided over the pink Manila, and skipped it with a small, silent smile.

     Wouldn't do anybody, any good if she were to hand that one to them, would it? Although she could give it up, right? She would hold onto it for now, till her partner decided to throw her under bus.