Chapter 25

"Train ourselves?" Kitten exclaimed with wide eyes. "What do you mean train ourselves?"

Aleksei silently cursed using every word he knew, almost amazed that his vocabulary was so extensive for someone that tried to keep his language clean. That was probably thanks to Dmitri.

He was almost tempted to glance over at his friend, knowing Dmitri would be standing with a bored look.

"I mean I have things to do." Aleksei grunted, keeping his eyes at the trio in front of him instead. "It'll take a few hours to get through."

"And I ain't babysitting ya asses." Dmitri added next to him.

"Isn't it your job to look after us when Lexie isn't around?" Kittens' eyes narrowed at Dmitri as she pressed on.

"There's other stuff I'd rather be doing that ya could help with." He grinned back, leaning forward to flick her forehead. "And stop calling him Lexie."

"I'm not buying this." Kitten's eyes dropped into a small frown as she rubbed the top of her head. Aleksei had to admit he couldn't blame her. Breaking the news last minute on the training floor, didn't feel like his finest hour.

"You're not supposed to buy it." Aleksei answered. He slipped his hand into his pocket and ran his fingers over the rough edges of the compass he had been carrying for the last few days. "Anyway, I'm your captain. You're supposed to listen regardless of what my orders are."

"Even if you order us to jump off a cliff." She continued protesting under her breath.

"Kitten." A shocked squeak came from Boris. Aleksei began counting under his breath, his hands itching to strangle her. Usually Dmitri was the only one that could work under his skin so much.

"Ivan is in charge while we're gone." He forced through clenched teeth.

"Ivan?" Both Kitten and Boris looked turned to look at the giant.

Ivan had been standing with folded arms, seemed to be happy with the situation. The Giant nodded before turning around and continued on with foot-work practice on his own. A silent order that the others should start practice.

Boris looked trapped between Kitten and the sparring floor.

"Come on Kitten." He coaxed her with hidden pleading in his voice as the Rat tugged on her arm. "Let's go practice."

For a moment Kitten looked away towards the youngster who was smiling at her.

Aleksei could tell from the way her body movement had altered, that she had given in to Boris.

It annoyed him that the youngster seemed to have so much power over her.

He wrapped his hand around the object in his pocket, feeling slight pricks from all sides of his palm in protest.

He was her Captain. She was meant to listen to him.

"Come on Lexie." Dmitri pulled him from his thoughts. "Gonna be late."

Aleksei shook his head and watched the three on the practice mat. Ivan kept practicing on his own while keeping an eye on the youngsters that were stuck between chatting and beginning their stretches.

Satisfied, Aleksei turned away and fell in step with Dmitri walking off the field.

"Could have told them what we were doing." Dmitri began once they were out of ear-shot. "Would have been less hassle."

Aleksei shook his head and began mentally preparing himself for the task ahead.

"You know what Boris is like." Aleksei replied. "He would have wanted to come watch the fight. Kitten would just fuss about it."