Chapter 12

"Come on, we have to hurry." Boris shoved his books into his bag a week later. Kitten had her head buried in her own bag, a small frown on her face. Around them, their classmates were attempting to leave the classroom, being pushed by kids that were trying to enter.

"Flip Boris." Kitten turned to Boris with huge eyes. "I don't have my homework for the next class."

"What?" Her friend's jaw dropped. "Where is it? You spent all afternoon on it yesterday."

"I must have left it in my bedroom." Kitten bit her lip for a moment as she tried to remember what she did with her homework. "I was checking it after lights out and must have forgotten it."

"I told you it was fine." Boris groaned. "Why did you check it?"

"Fine doesn't work with Lexie." She reminded him. "You know that."

For the last week, any results she received had been criticized by her team's captain to the point of frustration.

Boris looked worried for a moment. "You'll be in trouble for sure if you don't have it."

"I'll just go grab it." She flung her bag over her arm. "The dorms aren't that far."

"Let's go then." He grinned before walking to the classroom door.

"Boris, hey wait." She managed to grab him once they were outside. "You don't need to come with me."

"But, I'm supposed to look out for you." His lower lip wobbled. It was clear she had hurt him by her earlier remark.

"This is the last period before lunch. I used to skip this one all the time. There's hardly anyone around now." Kitten smiled and wrapped her arms around him. "I can go grab it and be back in a few minutes."

"You sure?" Boris checked in uncertainty.

"I'll be fine. It's better Lexie just kills me then us both if something goes wrong. Besides," She smiled and pressed her finger against his nose. "I'll need you to create a diversion so I can sneak into class."

"Ok." He giggled. "Fredricks with us. He can help with that."

"Great." She took a deep breath before pressing a finger to her lips. "Don't tell, ok."

"I promise." He gave her a wave back before running off in the direction of the classroom. Once he was gone, she turned and ran in the opposite direction to the dorms.

A few minutes later she arrived at the open courtyard that sat next to her room. A bright light filtered onto the grass. A huge tree sat in the middle of the yard. She raised a hand to shield her eyes from the light as a disappointment settled in her. She had climbed the tree before a few times, back when she had been hiding from the boys. What would it feel like to climb it for fun?

"Stupid Meat-bag." At the insult, she turned to see a group of boys dawdling to class. She slipped her hand into her pocket for her Switchblade, gripping it as if it were some kind of talisman that would keep her safe from them.

For a moment she felt silly needing it. Since joining the Alpha Pack, the worst that had happened to her was being bumped out of her spot in the lunch line. The looks of disgust and insults hurled at her were so common that she was used to them now.

She didn't think the guys would attack her.

Trying to act calm, she walked past them towards her room, gripping the hidden switchblade.

One of the boys took a step out towards her and bumped his shoulder against hers, hard enough for her to drop her bag.

"Typical Meat-bag." They began laughing as she fell to the floor, scrambling to pick up her things that had fallen out of her bag. "Clumsy."