Chapter 23

"All units remember to get your flu shots." The announcement started without warning over the intercom outside Kitten's bedroom, startling her awake. "A healthy team is a happy team."

"Seriously." Kitten rubbed her eyes and stared at the empty wall. "Don't they ever stop with the stupid announcements?"

She turned her head on the pillow to look at the uniform she had laid out to wear the previous night. It was one of a set of spares Dmitri had given her that must be one of his old ones since it was a tighter fit breadth wise but the width was so long the shirt could have been a really short dress. It also reeked of salt and cigarette. She had thought she would have hated the smell but she found the presence of it comforting in her room.

He had already warned her about giving them away. She was in no hurry to suffer those consequences if she did.

"I better wash my old uniform or I'll be in trouble." She muttered before yawning. "Stupid Lexie with his stupid rules and stupid regulations."

She sat up and quickly ended up on the bed again.

"What the..." She blinked in surprise before frowning slightly and trying again, slower this time.

Funny. She never had problems getting out of bed before except when she first arrived. Back then she had been in too much pain some days to want to move if she was caught and beaten by the others.

She removed the shirt she had slept in and the scent of blood overtook her. For a moment she scanned the room, wondering if a mouse had just died in it. She was getting good at finding those. She got on her knees to check under her bed when she caught sight of the stained marks on her clothes.

"What in the world happened to my shirt?" She held it up to examine it better and spotted the scratches on her arms. She frowned; rubbing the tiny lines that looked like an insect had been trying to cut her open with a tiny knife.

Overhead the school's bell began chiming the time. Every hour on the hour.

"What? No, I couldn't have slept that late!" She cried out, dropping her sleep-shirt. She grabbed her washcloth and emptied the glass of water into it before running it along her arms. Next, she quickly changed into her uniform. She halted for a moment, taking a breath of the material as she smoothed down the pants and roll up the bottoms.

She grinned and straightened. She kept her hands by her side before giving in to the temptation to twirl on the spot she was standing.

"I'd kill for a mirror right now." She giggled before trying to examine the outfit again. It was much neater then her old one had been. It had been strange that Dmitri could even give two uniforms up so easily after the way Aleksei had chewed her out for doing the same thing. Boris had just shrugged it off when she asked him before explaining Dmitri had an extra ratio of uniform because of his skin condition.

Kitten frowned for a moment, recalling the conversation then spotted the marks on her arms again. Annoyed, she grabbed her jersey and threw it on before examining herself once more.

Good, no one could see the marks and ask questions.

It was one thing to be in a fight and get hurt. It was another to have marks that she couldn't explain away. Especially not with a Captain like Lexie.

Stupid Lexie with his stupid rules.

"Something smells good." Dmitri whistled as she arrived almost twenty minutes later at the shower-room doors huffing with her kit gripped tightly in her hands.

"Bite me." She tried to reply, more focused on trying to get her breathe back.

"Just say where." Dmitri leaned closer towards her until Aleksei shot out his hand, stopping 'The 'Shark'. Dmitri snapped his jaws in her direction, biting empty air. He smirked as she looked at him in surprise. "And when."

"Knock it off Dmitri." Aleksei ordered, looking far from impressed. "This isn't the place."

"Eh? Says ya." Dmitri chuckled.

Aleksei shook his head and looked back at her. She didn't miss the way either of the leaders were studying her from the bottom to the top before nodding slightly in approval. The uniform was definitely an improvement. She would have to thank Dmitri later. Maybe she could bake him something during her next lesson with Ivan. She also didn't miss the dark circles under Aleksei's eyes. Maybe he had been up late studying again.

"Aren't you overdressed for a shower?" Aleksei queried. His question made her feel like drawing back and hissing at him.

"I woke up cold." She lied, silently hoping Aleksei didn't decide to order her to take the jersey off. "It's not like it's a crime."

"You're in a mood." Aleksei's eyes narrowed, making her start to worry. "Are you alright?"

"I just woke up okay." She shrugged. "I'm bloated and tired."

"Great. Take a shower and then go to the nurses' office." Aleksei pointed to the direction of the offices that contained the 4 other women on the island. Kitten had seen them on the odd occasion in the hallways while the boys whistled or cat-called them. They were always dressed in their perfect white stocking-ed uniforms with small caps on their heads, short blue cloaks and semi-heeled plain work shoes.

"I could show ya where they are?" Dmitri raised his hand eagerly.

"I'm good with just a shower, thanks." Kitten muttered.

"Kitten look..." Aleksei began to rub the bridge of his nose when she interrupted him.

"Seriously, what's with you guys and the nurses." She glanced at the two in annoyance. "If you like them so much, then you go. I'm not."

"How'd ya guess I was due for a visit?" Dmitri chuckled, nudging Aleksei who threw him a dark glare. "We gotta watch out for this one Lexie. She can read minds or somethin."

"Whatever." Kitten shook her head. "Let me through. I gotta go shower."

She wiggled past them before either of the leaders could say another word and slammed the door behind her, not caring if they were running behind her or taking their usual posts outside to stand guard.

"Stupid Lexie." She placed her things down carefully before halting as the sleeve of her jersey fell over her hand, covering it. She swallowed. Then she stood up, careful as she removed her jersey.

The scratches were still there. She carefully ran a finger over one, ripping it open again before lifting her arm to her face.

She hesitated for a moment, not sure if what she was doing was wrong.

"It's probably fine." She whispered to herself. "As long as I'm not caught."

She swallowed before sticking her tongue out and carefully licking the wound. A hint of copper hit her.

She raised her head and licked her lips.

No wonder Dmitri thought girls were yummy.