I sigh.

"It doesn't have to be four years at Harvard. He can get a two-year diploma. Thing is, I don't think he's a stellar scholar."

Preston starts pacing.

"We need something simple and easy to pass."

"I'll ask him what he wants to study. But he will pick something and he will stick to it."

"I wanna be a police officer!" Ciel trills, joining us with my sister in tow.

"Uhhhh nope," I exclaim immediately. "Ten out of ten would not recommend."

"Firefighter?"

"Not for you, babe."

"What about bylaw? That's safe, right?"

I grasp his face, looking into his eyes.

"Don't bring that shame on me."

"Look how controlling he is," Ari muses

"Look how controlling he is," Ari muses. "Ciel, why'd you settle for Dario, anyway?"

Ciel looks down at his feet.

"He looked..." He cocks his head and analyzes me, biting his bottom lip shyly. "Safe."

I swallow around the lump in my throat, gaze solemnly riveted on his eyes.

I'll keep you safe.

Our pagers sound off just then, as if the universe has a sense of humour. Another 911 call interrupting dinner. Major breakthrough on a federal case, all hands on deck. Even the FBI is helping law enforcement on this one.

The guys and I rush to the door, saying our goodbyes to the parents. I'm last to file out the door, key poised to lock it.

"Hey, son." Dad calls after me.

I turn around.

"Be careful."

I flash him a lopsided smile.

"I'm a cop; that's what we do."

•••