𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

Knock-knock

Someone was knocking at Brewster's office door. The General gave them permission to enter and the door opened. It was Lieutenant Colonel Hughes.

'Good morning, General!' he greeted her with a big smile and happiness in his hazel eyes as he kept his right hand behind his back.

'Good morning, Lieutenant Colonel,' she spoke taking her eyes off the papers on her desk and looking at the man. 'Do you have any news on the Lab's case?'

The Colonel shook his head and then said, 'but I have some other news! My Elicia loved the little doll you gave her!!! So, she insisted that I brought some cake for you!'

The female's beautiful blue eyes showed nothing but surprise as Hughes placed a plastic container with a piece of cake inside it on her desk and handed her a fork. She was lost for words. Was she supposed to thank him?

'Thank you,' the lady said and opened the container to eat the cake. She hadn't eaten some birthday cake in a long time. She didn't even remember what it tasted like anymore.

The sponge of the cake was light and fluffy, and it tasted so good. And the cream around it was sweet and delicious.

'It was my wife who baked it!' a proud Hughes told the General. 'Isn't it the best cake you've ever eaten!?'

'I don't usually eat cake, so my evaluation wouldn't be accurate,' Brewster informed trying to stay formal.

'No even on your birthday?' a slightly chocked Colonel asked.

'I don't celebrate my birthday,' the woman said coldly.

'No one likes to get old, right?' Hughes tried to lighten the mood.

'I guess that must be it,' Brewster showed him a fainted and fake smile before finishing the small slice of cake.

Then, the General checked the time in her pocket watch.

Hughes noticed the lady looking at the time and asked if she was late for a meeting. He didn't want to delay the member of the senior staff. Fortunately, he wasn't doing so; and Brewster was just wondering if it was opportune to visit the Fullmetal Alchemist in order to get some more information in the Fifth Laboratory incident. The boy's arm should be fixed already, and he had told her he would draw the guys he had seen at the Lab.

'I believe Major Armstrong would be interested in knowing more about the incident as well,' the Lieutenant Colonel commented. 'After all, his officers were involved, and he has been aware of the Elrics' investigations.'

'In that case, we go with him,' General Brewster spoke and then got up to leave the office and contact the Strong Arm Alchemist so they could pay the Elrics a visit.

As they expected, the Major agreed to go with them and learn more about what had happened in the Fifth Lab. He knew it had to be related to the Philosopher Stone. Therefore, he wanted to know more.

The three soldiers walked the hospital halls calmly. No nurse asked where they were heading to. Brewster was leading the way, so no one dared to question them. Then, they stopped in front of Edward's room. The General opened the door and got in followed by the Major and the Colonel.

'General Brewster,' the blond boy spoke a little surprised. 'And Major Armstrong and Hughes.'

Alphonse greeted the officers before Lieutenant Colonel Hughes began doing the same to them with all the energy he had and then began telling the brothers about Elicia. Hughes was a very affectionate man and he loved to show that by talking about his family.