things aren't always what they seem

"I think he's turning." Two heads whipped up so fast, might as well have gotten whiplash.

"Your kidding?" Hongjoong was the first to say, pressing his hand to the human's forehead. He removed it with a grimace when he realized how hot his skin is.

"I smell it." Seonghwa continued, sniffing the air as action for the others to do the same. It meant no different for San, he could always smell Wooyoung, but Hongjoong's eyes were widening. He could smell him too.

"But, how?" Seonghwa shook his head, unsure.

"The bond?"

"You and I both know the bond doesn't work like that." Hongjoong told Seonghwa. His attention went to San. "You're sure you didn't do anything." San had his hands up in surrender.

"No! I promise, I was sleeping. He found me somehow." Two and two weren't adding up to four and Hongjoong's head hurt.

"Let's take him inside. I'll get Eden to look him over." Seonghwa lugged Wooyoung's dead weight inside, some of the pack members giving them odd stares. San snarled at them, not wanting his mate to be looked down upon. Wandering eyes soon left them as they made it to the foyer. "Eden." Their healer turned to them, waiting for an explanation as Wooyouing was placed down. "He's turning, but we don't know why."

"He wasn't bitten?" They all looked to San and San rolled his eyes.

"For the hundredth time, I did nothing to him!" Hongjoong placed a hand on his shoulder to calm him. Eden inspected his neck anyway, eyes searching for a cause that wasn't visible.

"His scent is omega... you're positive he was human before?" They all nod.

Eden told them to check back in with him in the morning. "I need to run more tests." San stayed by the healer's side.

"Will he be okay?"

"I can't say for certain. We'll just have to wait it out."

...

Wooyoung felt like he was floating, stuck between time and space. He thought he heard voices, mumbles of concern and confusion and something else. Something familiar. Wooyoung wasn't sure how long he'd been stuck like this. Motionless. Weightless. Wanting to escape...

He suddenly felt grounded, heart pounding in his ears as his senses came to him. He felt a hand in his own, calloused fingers rubbing gently. Still, he couldn't move. Stuck in subspace as the hand continued to remind him. That he was still alive. He was still breathing.

...

It was almost a week later that anything changed. Hongjoong was changing out the sheets when Wooyoung gasped awake, startling them both. "Wooyoung?" The boy looked scared, which Hongjoong couldn't blame him for. Waking up in an unfamiliar place- with your boss no less.

"Hongjoong?" The wolf nodded, gently stepping closer to the bed.

"You must be confused."

"Kind of, yeah." Wooyoung scanned the room. "Where am I?"

"You're at my pack house."

"Pack house? Is that that like fraternity thing?" Hongjoong chuckled, sitting next to the boy.

"Not quite." He fought for what to say next. "This is going to sound crazy, but... I'm a werewolf."

" . . . " Wooyoung burst into laughter. "You're kidding me, right?" He wiped away an unshed tear. "Because werewolves aren't real." Hongjoong winced. He knew how it sounded to Wooyoung, having lived human for so long.