"Mum, why are you up so early?" smirked Julie. April only smiled at her in return, humming a tune and turning back to where she was cooking bacon on the stove.

"Today, we're going to get your supplies," she grinned, seeing Julie's face light up.

"Are we really?!" Dahlia covered her ears to protect them from her foster sister's shrieking. "We're going to Diagon Alley today? Oh, I'm so excited!" Then she stopped. "Wait, how do we get there? None of us have been there before." Dahlia raised her hand.

"I have," she said. "I'll get you in. Diagon Alley's amazing. Are you all excited to go?" Richard put down his newspaper.

"Very, Dahlia!" he said brightly. "Magic—I've always been fascinated by it."

April smirked. "Girls, don't be fooled. Your father just read fairytales till he was sixteen." She chuckled to herself until she'd realized what she'd said. "Oh, Dahlia—"

"It's fine, April," she nodded. "It makes me feel like part of the family."

"You are part of the family," said Richard cheerfully. "I'm sure everyone agrees. Don't we?" He was answered with energetic nods.

"That reminds me," said Dahlia. "I have something to tell you three. It's important." She shifted in her seat. April turned off the stove, concerned.

"What is it?" asked Richard.

"I could get in trouble with the Ministry for it," she said guiltily. "Like time in wizard prison bad." This set the whole family on edge. April was looking at her like she was a serial killer, and Richard was glaring slightly. Dahlia didn't dare look at Julie. "I haven't killed anyone or nearly anything as bad as that, so stop looking at me as if I have," she snapped irritably. Her foster parents relaxed and shot her apologetic glances.

"You're killing me, Lia," said Julie. Her foster parents looked at their daughter in surprise. "What've you done?"

"Lia?" asked April. Dahlia smiled weakly.

"I'm giving the nickname thing a try. Um, so..." She didn't know how to break it to them gently. "I'm a wolf." Silence. Richard was the first to speak.

"I'm sorry, you're a what?" he asked sternly. Dahlia tried not to wince. She shouldn't have gotten so attached.

"I'm a wolf." Her voice stayed steady. "If you want to send me back or whatever—" April shot forward and gathered Dahlia in a tight hug.

"We don't want to give you up. We're just a little surprised is all." She pulled away, and Dahlia was grateful to see curious expression's on her foster families' faces. "Is being a wolf normal? I thought you were a witch."

"I am a witch," explained Dahlia. "But witches and wizards can become something called Animagi, which is when a witch or wizard transforms into an animal at will. Kind of like a spirit animal, I guess."

"Cool," said Julie, grinning. "Can I be a wolf too?"

"Everyone has a different spirit animal. Well, they're called Patronuses. They ward off dementors which are evil creatures who feed on happiness. To produce a Patronus, you need to use a happy memory—"

"You're getting off-topic," said Richard. His eyes were shining with wonder and he was leaning forward. Dahlia laughed.

"My Animagi form is a wolf. Her name is Ares." No one questioned it. Their expressions were one you might find on a child's in a sweets shop.