𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐 || 𝐏𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐏𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐜

We went to the Derry Summer Fair, although we didn't actually go. We just went to stare at the missing posters and discuss what might have happened and see who else had gone missing. Richie had taken a trombone from one of the marchers and was attempting to play it while the marcher tried to wrestle it out of Richie's grasp. When he finally did, Richie yelled, "What the fuck, dude?!"

We looked at the newest face on a poster- Edward Corcran. 

"They say they found a part of his arm all chewed up near the standpipe," Stan said, his arms folded and his curls blowing a bit in the wind.

"He asked to borrow a pencil once," Ben said quietly.

Bill lifted the poster to reveal Betty's smiling face. "It's like she's been f-f-f-forgotten because Corcran is missing." He scowled as he let the poster fall back.

"Is it ever going to end?" Stan wondered.

Eddie appeared with two ice cream cones in his hand, handing one to Richie and eating a bit off the other. "What are you guys talking about?"

"What they always talk about," Richie responded.

"I actually think it will end, for a little while at least," Ben answered Stan's question.

"What do you mean?" Bev asked, tilting her head at him.

"So I was going over all my Derry research, and I charted out all the big events like the Ironworks explosion in '08, the Bradley gang in '35, and the Blackspot in '62, and now kids being.. I realized this stuff happens every-"

"27 years," Bill finished him, nodding.

We walked away to sit on or around a bench. Stan, Mike, Ben, and Bev all sat on the bench while me, Richie, Eddie, and Bill sat on our bike seats.

"So let me get this straight," Eddie began. "It comes out to eat kids for like, a year, and then what? It just goes into hibernation?"

"Maybe it's like, what do you call it- cicadas, the bugs that come out once every 17 years," Stan suggested. I smile and shook my head at his random knowledge of nature.

"My grandfather thinks this town is cursed," Mike said. "He says that all the bad things that happen in this town are because of one thing... and evil thing that feeds off the people of Derry."

"But it can't be one thing," I argued. "You all something different."

"Maybe it knows what scares us the most and that's what we see," Mike theorized. 

"I saw a leper," Eddie said with a shudder. "He was like a walking infection."

"But you didn't, because it isn't real. None of this is. Not Eddie's leper, or Bill seeing Georgie, or Y/N's glass, o-or the woman I keep seeing." Stan kept his brown eyes straight ahead, not daring to meet our gazes.

"Is she hot?" Richie asked, a smile breaking his face despite the conversation and despite the seriousness of it.

"No Richie, she's not hot!" Stan snapped, shooting his head up to glare at the trashmouth. "Her face is all messed up. None of this makes any sense! They're all like bad dreams." A few people glanced our way as Stan raised his voice.

"You didn't tell me that you.." I trailed off, giving him a hurt look. I realized that must've been what was bothering him when we were at Bev's.

"I didn't think you saw anything, and I didn't want you to think I was crazy," Stan mumbled, his voice cracking a bit.

"I don't think so. I know the difference between a bad dream and real life, okay?" Mike said, shaking his head.

"What'd you see?" Eddie asked. "You saw something too?"