𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕 || 𝐒𝐮𝐫𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐞

(𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐏.𝐎.𝐕)

After a month, I seemed to forget all about the clown. The bad thing was that Stan had seemed to drift away from me, something that was surprising and confusing. I didn't understand, but I wasn't going to press him either.

So when we went back to school, Eddie accompanied me and Richie as we rode our bikes there. Although he could've just joined us all like the others did, falling behind us one by one. First Bill, then Bev, then Stan, who looked sad.

The clouds were dark gray, threatening to spill rain out at any moment. The air was humid and I could barely breathe with the tension. What had happened to our group I would never know.

~Timeskip~

The day was long and boring, and I suffered through most of the classes, not paying any attention. I mostly just drew in my sketchbook until the bell rung. By lunch I was completely zoned out, barely listening to what Bill and Stan were talking about. I poked at my food, my mind on others things, until Eddie nudged me, his big brown eyes fixed on me and one of his eyebrows cocked. "Are you okay?"

I looked up at him, blinking. "Yeah, just thinking."

"About?" Richie asked, butting into our conversation.

I shrugged and mumbled something inaudible. Richie huffed and Eddie rolled his eyes, nodding slightly.

"D-d-does anyone e-even know w-where Betty w-w-went?" Bill raised his voice so everyone at the table could hear his and Stan's discussion.

Stan shook his head, his brown eyes thoughtful. "They said she just disappeared. No sign of a struggle, no hint to where she could've gone."

"Didn't her mother say she was going to a friends house the night she went missing?" I asked, raising my head to look between Stan and Bill.

Stan nodded again, meeting my eyes. "Yep. But her friend she never showed up."

"She probably ran away," Richie suggested.

"But none of her stuff was taken. Her money, clothes, everything, still there," Stan pointed out. "If she ran away, she would've taken it."

"Do we know if she's even still alive?" Bev asked hesitantly.

"S-she probably i-i-is, r-right guys?" Bill asked us, his hazel gaze sweeping across us.

I exchanged a look with Eddie, while Richie shuffled in his seat. Stan looked down quickly, biting his lip.

"She was probably kidnapped," I say cautiously, choosing my words carefully. "I mean, that makes sense, right? It's the only explanation to what happened to her. If she was kidnapped by a rapist or some psycho, probably not."

"She's the first disappearance we've had in Derry since we've all been here, right?" Eddie asked. We all nodded. 

"If there's some psycho going around kidnapping kids, she most likely won't be the last," Stan murmured, looking up.

"H-hopefully we-we'll all b-b-be safe.." Bill sighed, and I hoped he was right.

"It should rain by tomorrow or something, we could go to the Quarry for a bit," Richie suggested as we walked out of school. Today was Friday and one of the only Fridays we weren't having a sleepover- none of us had enough time to. Bill was starting to get sick, Eddie said his mother didn't want him going over so much, and Stan said he promised he would get some pictures of his mom's favorite birds.

"I-I'm go-going home. I-I don't f-feel that g-g-great," Bill said, shaking his head. He got on his bike and left, waving at us.

"My mom will kill me if I don't stay home today," Eddie said quickly. He took a puff from his inhaler.

"I need to get those pictures some time today. Y/N, can I borrow your camera?" Stan asked, glancing at me.

I nodded. "When?"

"I'll come pick it up later," He said, waving his hand around.

I nodded again, and me and Richie started to leave, getting further away until Richie said, "You know, something feels off about today."

"It's probably the weather," I replied, giving him a small smile. "I've been feeling it too. Rainy weather tends to put people in very defined moods."

"Probably, but.." He trailed off, huffing. "I hate this feeling. And it doesn't help that all the assholes in our group don't want to hang out with us."

"Richie-" I began with a sigh, but he interrupted me.

"No, I get it," he continued. "If they don't wanna spend time with us, that's fine. At least we have each other."

I didn't answer, just gave him a look.

When we got home, I threw my bike down and opened the door, thinking of what to say. 

"So, new best friend, what do you say we do?"

"Video games, easy," I said immediately.

"I knew there was a reason I picked you as my best friend," he sighed happily.

"Richie, we're literally siblings."

"Whatever."

Me and Richie were in the living room, arguing playfully as we played the game.

"You're cheating!" 

"I'm not! How am I?"

"You keep looking at me."

"Oh sorry, I'll never look at you again."

"Good!"

"It's good for me, your face is hard on my eyes!"

"Y/N, that was mean!"

A knock on the door interrupted our bickering. I stood up, flipping Richie off (which he started fake crying to), and opened the door to reveal a very pale and out of breath Stan.

"Uh, Stan the Man, you alright?"

He jumped out of his skin, nodding. "Yeah, I'm fine. I, uh, came to get the camera."

"Right," I nodded, stepping back to let him in. "I'll go get it. You better give it back!"

I went upstairs to get it, and was just about to leave when something caught my eye. A picture hanging above my bed, one I didn't remember ever putting there. I crossed the room to look at it. My knees almost gave out when I did, and I grabbed my bed to steady myself. 

It was the same fucking clown I had seen in the glass, smiling at me eerily from the polaroid. I yanked it off my wall, ripping it into pieces before rushing out of the room, slamming my door. I hurried downstairs, wanting to distance myself from my room as much as possible. I practically flung myself into the living room, extending my hand to give Stan the camera. He took it, his eyes searching mine.

"Are YOU alright, Tozier?" He asked with a frown.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

edited: wednesday, march 9th, 2022