xciv. outside looking in

Start from the beginning

However, in their momentary distraction, they did not see the large rock from the opposite side of the battle soaring towards them. By the time Vera turns around, it is a mere distance between them, and she raises her hands to protect herself gullibly, awaiting the impact that would materialize once it hit her. But nothing seemed to happen. Vera opens her eyes cautiously to find a water bubble enveloping the rock that is mere meters from her face and carefully moves her hand to throw it back to the opposing end. 

In wonder, the soldiers and neighboring citizens watch in awe at the motion, and Vera inspects her hands in mild amazement but blazing determination. She may not be able to fight in this battle, but for Eru's sake, she could do something to help! Although the people of Gondor find a new hope in the great Maiar powers of the young mermaid Queen in their midst sending stones and pieces of rubble to eliminate the numbers on the opposing side, they face yet another problem as Mordor delivers their Ringwraiths on Fell beasts.

The first time Vera encounters them, she is trying to shoot substantial debris towards the front lines and the edges of the organized army but accidentally weakens in her capability at the loud noise emitting towards her sensitive ears. Dropping her arms to cover her ears from the ringing sound racking her brain painfully, the enormous piece of remains collapses mid-soar in the center of the field, abolishing no one. The other side takes advantage of the temporary halt in attack by firing their own stone and rubble. 

Vera is weakened by the sound, wondering what in hell was in their voices that made her so vulnerable in a matter of seconds; it shouldn't be affecting her the way it is now. She wonders if Neptune is experiencing the same thing. Groaning tiresomely, Vera falls to her knees, breathing heavily as she gathers her strength. 

Shock and suspicion cover her in waves but she has no time to linger on her inner thoughts for the mermaid is occupied with another: two children pleading with their mother to leave, but the woman merely cries out and sobs in the direction of the army. Vera's eyes widen as she spots an incoming boulder approaching the unsuspecting trio, and she uses what little energy she has to defend them from the attack. Relief fills her system at the sight of her familiar water bubble protecting them, but her attention snaps once she hears a faint cry of another child in the distance. 

And she knows she cannot shield this one from the rubble collapsing around him.

Ensuring the trio is safe and away from danger, Vera darts towards the young one, eyeing the unstable piece of stone on top of him. Her eyes widened in the quick second it takes for the stone to fall and watches desperately, awaiting the dead body that would follow, knowing she cannot do anything. However, a blink later, and the stone has dropped but there is no body underneath it; she searches in confusion for the boy, only to find a familiar form hugging him. 

"Amaron!" Vera cries in relief, flashing towards them to help the little boy to run towards the patient soldier who will deliver him to the safety dome just around the corner. Then, she faces her new friend and helps him up to his feet, concern washing over her features. "Are you okay? You stupid man! You could have gotten hurt!"

"I would die rather than allow that child to die, Queen Vera," replies Amaron light-heartedly, an exhaustive chuckle escaping his lips. She smiles fondly before gripping onto him firmly to sit him down on a piece of stone. Her concern rises tenfold at the pained hiss he elicits upon soft contact, and she immediately prods at his skin to find the source of injury.

Vera frowns deeply when her eyes land on the deep wound on his chest, near to his heart, and in incredible cruel condition. The shape of the wound would result in bleeding and could potentially kill Amaron if he does not succeed in medical assistance. "Amaron...you need to go to the dome, there is medical healers there who could help you—"