Elodie and the Matchstick

Elodie had returned from her first semester at college to find herself sitting at the kids' table. It was demeaning, rude, and bad-mood-inducing. Worse, she had the childish task of setting the tables.

"Someday, you'll wish you were young enough to be at the children's table," her Nana chided as she handed her the matches for the candlesticks. "You'll look back on this and laugh at yourself."

"I'll probably never laugh again," Elodie muttered as she stuck a match.

In the flair of the flame, Elodie and her somber mood were transported to the castle bedroom of a fairytale. Her ornate gown fluttered in the breeze of the window overlooking a prosperous kingdom. From behind her, she heard pleading from an unfamiliar voice.

"Elodie, just a smile would light up the whole kingdom. All of the finest men from the four corners of the realm have visited you, hoping for just one passing laugh, and still, you remain so quiet. What is it that'll bring a song to your heart, a smile to your face, and a trill to your lips?" The kind pleaded.

In confusion, Elodie remained unmoved.

"Hans is here. Dear, sweet Hans for your youth; perhaps he can break you of this curse."

But it was not an unfamiliar face the entered her room to entertain her. It was her childhood best friend.

"John," Elodie blurted.

"The situation must not be as dire if you jest that you don't recall my name." His warmly, mischievous eyes studied her. "Play Graces with me," he prodded, holding up four ribbon-bound sticks and a ring."

"Graces?" Elodie hadn't heard of the game.

"Oh, surely you haven't buried the pleasures of childhood so deep that you don't recall your once-favorite pastime?" As Hans spoke, he could see the confusion cloud Elodie's face. It disheartened his resolve slightly, but still, he pressed on, "I'll remind you."

He handed her two wands, crossing them in an X and placing the ring around them. He then took a few passes away.

"Ok, now separate your wands, my lady."

Elodie did as he asked, sending the ring soaring into the air. It glided with such grace, causing the tiny ribbons to unfurl to reveal a series of colorful tales until Hans skillfully caught the ring on his own wands. Captivated by the ring, Elodie hadn't noticed the joyful trill of her laughter.

"She laughs," the king burst into the room. "By good grace, she laughs!"

"Precisely," Hans nodded with a wink to Elodie, pulling another peel of laughter from her lips. "And now with your somber curse broken, I ask that you exchange the ring of graces for mine," He dropped to one knee with a ring held up to her.

Caught up in the moment, Elodie held out her hand to accept, but as the ring slipped on her finger, she fell back to her Nana's table, surrounded by children save one seat.

"Is this seat free?" John's eyes shined down on her.