25| The Kaycee Effect

Start from the beginning

The familiarity of the situation made my mood plummet. I was swept off my feet by Sean and only Sean. He was all I wanted, not Josh. Josh came in and has been here for me but as a friend. He doesn't like me like Julian likes Bailey. He can't.

"Kaycee, are you listening?! What do I do?" She asked, snapping me out of it. We moved up as more left the line. "I know exactly what you're talking about, and I would say, follow your heart. Love always wins."

"You really think so?" She beamed. I nodded, a reassuring smile on my lips. "Great..what do you mean when you say you know what I'm talking about?" She questioned before ordering four bottles of water. My mouth was left agape for a bit as I thought about telling her.

"Well," I started while taking two of the bottles. "You have to promise you will keep this to yourself." She hummed in response as if saying 'of course'. "Sean and I broke up- well, I broke up with him because he made several accusations towards Josh that he had feelings for me and claimed that's why Nat broke up with him." I explained.

"That's...wow. Well does he?" Bailey asked, taking slow strides alongside me towards our friends. "No, he's like a brother. Josh would never have any feelings towards me." I declared.

"But if Nat broke up with him and you broke up with Sean, one, that'd give him the perfect opportunity to swoop in. Second, if both of them believe that about him, wouldn't you consider that fact at least a little bit?" She questioned. "I don't know, I'm just trying to get in my petty mindset for this situation." She shrugged.

When she put it that way, it made sense. "So you think Josh might actually have feelings for me and both Sean and Nat were right?" I asked frantically.

"It's definitely a possibility." She nodded. "Wouldn't he have told me by now?" I asked in disbelief. Bailey shrugged once again. "He's probably waiting for the right time to tell you. Either that, or everyone's wrong about his intentions."

Speaking of the devil, Josh jogged up to us along with Julian, smiles on their faces. "Hello, ladies." Josh greeted sweetly. Julian gave Bailey a sheepish grin. They simply stared at each other like little middle schoolers. Caught up in their cuteness, I didn't notice Josh trying to get my attention. "I'm sorry, what did you say?"

He chuckled. "You're so adorable. I was asking if you wanted to ride the ferris wheel later." He asked with hopeful eyes. I froze. Ferris wheels are one of the most intimate places, designated for intimate, romantic moments. "Don't, um, don't you want to take a chance asking Nat or something? Or even maybe she could come with us..because you know, it'd just be us...alone..together." I insisted nervously.

"I know. So you'll go with me?" Josh asked, amusement lining his voice. I looked over to Bailey for assistance but she and Julian were still in la la land. "Um, s-sure." I replied, causing an award-winning smile to appear on his face.

"Great! I hope you're ready to win me a stuffed animal." Josh smirked, taking me by the hand towards a water gun game. Once the man rang the bell, I felt my nerves subside and my competitiveness course through my veins.

"Could have taken it easy on me." Josh grumbled. I laughed and put my hands up in triumph before thanking the man for the large panda he handed over.

"It's not my fault you decided to be a slow poke." I said, nudging him playfully. He let out a light chuckle while putting his hands in his pockets. "I'm just getting warmed up, that's all." He stated.

"Warmed up, my ass." I remarked, skipping to the Zero Gravity ride. "You would love that, wouldn't you?" Josh smirked. I let out an awkward laugh at his joke. He followed after me into line where Bailey and Julian were actually waiting.