12 - Fore!

Over the next week I worked on replacement songs, ignored Nat, tried to forget Callie and rode Paul about the finding the traitorous rat. I was insufferable, but didn't care. Stress seemed to fill every part of my body.

Denaun had demanded I take a break and hang out Saturday afternoon. Initially I'd agreed. Now I was trying to back out.

"Naunie no! I got too much to do!"

"Get in your car now or Imma come over there and get you," he threatened.

"Maybe next week – "

"Marshall, I mean it," Denaun said. "You need a break."

"Fine! I'll come," I spat. "But I'm not gonna have fun!"

"Of course not," he laughed. "We can't expect miracles."

"Fucker," I muttered as I hung up. Making sure I had everything, I grabbed a hoodie and headed out.

Denaun had rented an indoor miniature golf course for the afternoon and invited a couple friends.

"Glad you could make it," he said, clapping me on the back.

"Like I had a choice," I mumbled as we walked over to the equipment.

I was choosing my putter when I heard a familiar laugh. Whipping around I saw Callie standing with one of Denaun's friends.

"What's she doing here?" I demanded.

"Who? Callie?" Denaun asked. "I invited her."

"Why?"

"Because she's a cool chick. Thought she'd be fun to hang out with," he said. "What's your problem with her anyway?"

"Nothing," I said, turning back to the clubs as Denaun watched me.

There were six of us in all – Denaun, his friends Ricky, Alex, Keisha, Callie and me. I stood silently as the introductions were made, nodding acknowledgment. Alex had an arm slung around Keisha, so I assumed they were a couple.

Callie was dressed casually in jeans and t-shirt, her blond hair in low pigtails. Despite my anger with her, I had to admit she looked hot. Briefly I imagined pulling on those pigtails while she sucked my dick.

Looking away, I watched as Alex teed off first. We each took our turn and moved onto the miniature course. I made sure to keep my distance from Callie.

The first hole passed without incident as everyone got to know each other and became comfortable. Then the trash talking started.

Alex's shot bounced off a ceramic frog and into the water.

"Other than distance and accuracy, that was a great shot!" Callie said. I laughed before I could stop myself.

"Let's see you do better," Alex grumbled as he got out a replacement ball.

"No problem," Callie said, stepping up to her ball. With a smack, she sent it hurling down to the green where it stopped a foot from the hole

"Damn girl!" Keisha cheered and they high fived.

Callie walked down to the hole and waited while the rest of us took multiple shots. Denaun and I joined Callie as Ricky, Alex and Keisha continued to struggle.

"So Callie," Denaun said. "Whatcha been up to?"

I watched Callie as she shrugged. "Work mostly."

Our eyes met briefly, before she looked away. The others joined us around the hole.

"This is harder than it looks," complained Alex.

"Or you just suck," Keisha teased.

"You're gonna be the one sucking later," he said and she blew him a kiss.

"Alright, quiet in the gallery," Denaun commanded as he set up to sink his ball. With a soft tap, he sent it towards the hole where it spun around the lip of the cup and popped back out onto the green.

"What?" he roared.

"Just like prom night," Callie quipped. "All lip, no hole. Too bad."

It took me a moment to get the punchline, then I bust out laughing. Shit that was clever.

"Hey!" Naunie turned on her as he got it too but Callie just grinned.

As we started the next hole, my mind was furiously working on golf themed insults. Couldn't let her have the best lines.

Ricky's shot was good, but not far enough.

"Ooh," Callie said. "Like a super model – pretty but a little thin."

"Fuck them skinny bitches," Keisha said and they laughed together.

After finishing the hole, Callie and I waited while the others clustered together around the hole.

"I haven't seen four balls that close together since Brokeback Mountain," I said.

Callie laughed and nodded. "Good one."

"You two can shut the fuck up anytime," Alex muttered. "I hate this game."

Alex might be miserable, but I was actually enjoying myself.

We continued to play, with Callie and myself neck and neck for first place. Denaun, Keisha and Ricky were battling for second while Alex was firmly in last place.

Teeing off first, I sent my ball down to within feet of the hole. Swinging my putter, I walked down and stood off to the side to wait for the others.

As Callie took her shot, Ricky let out a loud sneeze. Her ball hit an obstacle and bounced over towards me. She whirled around and glared at Ricky.

"Sorry!" he said, holding his hands up. "Allergies. I couldn't help it."

"That's interference!" she protested. "I should get to re-take my shot!"

"No do-overs!" I called and the others agreed.

Muttering Callie walked down to the hole where her ball lay a couple feet in front of me.

"Tough break," I grinned.

"Whatever," she muttered as she stopped beside her ball. "Excuse me."

I motioned for her to go ahead.

"No, you have to move."

"Do I?" I asked, looking at the ball. "Seems you have enough room to take your shot."

"Yes but it would be easier if you moved."

"It would. Too bad I'm not going to," I said.

"Asshole," Callie muttered as she moved in front of me, sizing up her shot.

"I heard that," I said.

"Good," she said.

"How's it look?" I asked her while admiring her ass. "Cause the view's pretty great from back here."

Callie stifled a laugh. Lining up the putter with ball, she bent low, brushing her ass against my crotch. I groaned as she hit the ball.

"Serves you right for not moving," Callie said, straightening and starting to walk away. I grabbed her arm. She looked up at me, waiting. Only I had no idea what to say.

Keisha and Ricky walked onto the green and I let go of Callie.

I was the last to tee off on the next hole. Lining up my shot I took a bunch of practice swings.

"We're growing old here," Denaun yelled.

"You can't hurry greatness Naunie," I said. "Otherwise known as me!"

I swung and my ball landed in front of the hole.

"Motherfucker," Alex yelled, as it'd taken him 6 strokes just to make it onto the green. "You have your own putting green at home or what?"

"I'm advising my client to plead the fifth," Callie said.

"Yeah," I said, slinging an arm around her. "You heard my lawyer."

"Whatever," Alex said. "Let's get this over with."

He moved onto the next hole. Denaun followed, hiding a smile and shaking his head. I grinned down at Callie. Having her this close felt good. Maybe we'd get even closer later... As Callie moved away, my hand fell to her ass and I copped a feel. She laughed and continued after Denaun.

We finished the miniature course with Callie beating me by two strokes.

Joking and laughing, the six of us headed into the restaurant where Denaun had reserved a private room for dinner. We sprawled in the chairs while the girls headed to the bathroom and Alex set about drowning his sorrows.

I was trying to figure out how to get Callie in bed after this. It'd been a fun day and she seemed to have forgiven me. I wanted to re-instate our agreement. My dick throbbed just thinking about that.

"You seem like you're in a better mood," Naunie commented.

"Yeah, it was fun," I conceded. "Thanks for this."

"Good to see you and Callie getting along too," he said, watching me. "Maybe something there?"

I was saved having to answer as my phone rang. Glancing at the caller ID, I saw it was Nat's daughter Emma.

"I gotta get this," I said to Denaun and rose to take the call in a quieter spot.

"Hey Emma, What's up?" I said.

"M-Marshall?" her voice sounded hesitant and tearful.

"Yes. Are you alright honey?" I asked. "What's going on?"

"I - I don't know what to do," she sobbed.

Panic was growing in my chest. I'd known and loved this little girl since she was four years old.

"It's okay Emma. Tell me what's going on," I said in a calm voice. "Where's your mom?"

"Mommy's really sick. Daddy took Mason and Levi to a baseball game. He's not answering his phone. I-I didn't know who else to call. Can you please help Mommy?"

Fucking Natalie. What had she done? How could she put her daughter through this?

"Yes. I'll be right there. Hang tight," I hung up with Emma and jogged back to Denaun.

I quickly explaining the situation to him in a low voice.

"Are you sure you should be the one to help her out?" he asked, worried. "You're not gonna do anything stupid, are you?"

"I can't leave an eleven-year-old to deal with this. Her dad's busy, who else do you suggest I call?"

Part of me hoped he'd come up with a solution, so I wouldn't have to leave. But Denaun shrugged.

I nodded as Callie and Keisha came back into the room laughing. With a last look at Callie, I left to go help my cheating ex-girlfriend and her daughter.