Chapter 109: My Friends

Start from the beginning

I wasn't close enough to see what exactly what his expression was, but I'm betting shock was definitely one of them. Armin, as expected, was used to Eren's behavior by now, and didn't really pay much attention as the person beside him stuffed his face.

Honestly, seeing him shoving the food into his mouth like he usually does was comforting to me. Because now I know, even after all this time and everything we went through, some things just never change.

Eren caught me looking at him, wiping away the bits and pieces of crumbs from his mouth with a tissue.

"What?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. "You want one or something?"

I leaned my head on my hand with a smile. "Yeah, give me one."

Eren pulled down the bottom eyelid of one of his eyes, poking out his tongue. "Go buy it yourself."

A chuckle left me as I saw him continue eating. I already knew there was no way he would share his food. I mean, come on, this is Eren we're talking about.

I leaned back on my chair, resting my eyes once more while trying to get into the most comfortable position. Eventually, I did switch from closing my eyes to staring out the window, letting my mind run freely and imagine the wildest things it could.

Food came a few hours later, when the blue sky was picking up a yellow tint. The food was alright, just a standard airplane meal. Nothing too special and out of the ordinary.

The only interesting that happened was Eren. Of course, he wasn't satisfied with just that one meal. When a flight attendant passed, he immediately halted them and asked them if they had any other food. Of course, he was going to have to pay for the extra food, but since when was money a problem for Eren?

Though I'll admit this, he certainly ate less than he did years back. Not by a lot, but the amount has reduced. I guess that's a step towards a good thing.

The plane continued cruising high above the clouds, so high that we could see the horizon line of the Earth. That meant I had the best, most beautiful view of the sun as it set.

Orange light fell on the clouds, turning its color from cotton white to a orangey-cream like hue. The plane's wings were also basked in bright light, and the only thing I wished was to be able to feel the warmth of the light.

As expected, the sunset from thousands of feet above the ground was extraordinary and breathtaking. Highlight of the entire flight, hands down. I looked up, seeing the sky slowly turn into a shade of dark purple and blue as night rose.

The light faded away as the sun disappeared under the horizon, leaving only traces of faint orange lingering in the sky. Not long after, it became hard to see what was going on outside since it was rapidly getting dark. The only thing visible was the constant blinking of the plane's navigation lights.

I felt the plane slightly descend, similar to the feeling of falling but not quite the same. More like the insides of my guts going up as the plane went down. We kept lowering a bit more, going into the bed of clouds and coming out from below.

My eyes drifted down, seeing the glitters of light from the land far below. The PA system turned on, giving us a heads up that were going to be landing in a couple minutes and to return to our seats. A few minutes after that, the seatbelt sign lit up above me, and another announcement was made to tell us to fasten our seatbelts as the plane was about to land.

Squishing my face to the window, I saw the airport some distance in front of us as the flying bird glided down to the ground, carefully lining up with the brightly lit runway. A small vibration and a whirring noise from outside told me that the landing gear was being lowered as the pilots made the final adjustments before going down.