\𝓉𝓌ℯ𝓃𝓉𝓎\

~

~

"For you," Lee said formally, handing Eleanora the bottle of firewhiskey he'd had stashed away under his bed. Eleanora took it and tipped her head back, letting the burning liquid slide down her throat easily.

"Neuughhh."

"Nice one, El," George said, stealing the bottle from Lee. When he handed it back, Lee turned to Alicia.

"And for you."

"Why, thank you," Alicia said, winking at him and downing her sip gracefully.

"Why're we doing this the night before the first task?" Eleanora asked Fred, who was already tipsy. "Not that I'm against a good party or anything."

"Nora, Nora..." Fred slurred, throwing an arm around her. "This is a pre-party. The... preview. Just in case someone dies tomorrow," he burst out laughing, but Eleanora only frowned.

"You've definitely had too much."

"You definitely need more." Fred winked at her, and then jumped up onto  a coffee table in the middle of the room, waving his arms wildly to silence the crowd of Gryffindors. "ARE WE ALL READY?" he shouted at the top of his lungs. Eleanora folded her arms across her chest and watched in mild disapproval. The rest of the common room roared their approval for Fred, counteracting any pull she may have had.

"Here," Lee came up behind Eleanora and handed her the bottle again. "He's got a point. If you're gonna get through this, you'll need more." Eleanora only shrugged and took the bottle. She was growing more and more worried about Cedric as the first task drew nearer.

George joined her and Lee at the foot of the table, watching Fred jump around and hype up the crowd. "Worry about Cedric tomorrow," he said in Eleanora's ear, as if he'd read her mind. "Just forget it all right now. It'll all be okay."

"GEORGE!" Fred called down to them. "Have you got them?"

"Always." George pulled a box of Filibuster Fireworks from the pocket of his robes and threw it up to Fred, who caught it and stared closely at the box.

"These are the good ones," he said cheerily. "IS EVERYONE READY?"

The crowd roared back.

"THREE-" he opened the box. "TWO-" dumped the contents into his hand. "ONE-" Fred threw the fireworks into the air, drew his wand, and set them all off at once. The noise was deafening. The fireworks exploded everywhere, swirling and diving around the common room. Fireworks were far from rare in Gryffindor tower, but as she watched the glittering reflected in her friends' eyes, her mind buzzing slightly from the alcohol, Eleanora was in awe. Her vision blurred and came back into focus watching the dancing light, the echoing explosions fading into her subconscious. She felt like she was floating.