71

On a fine day, far, far above the usual reach of human concerns, two birds passed in flight. One was headed to the north, the other to the south. They hardly took notice of one another, focused as they were on finding the final comfortable roost to end their long journeys.

The southbound bird would not carry her burden to its final destination. The emperor was en route to Tuamach with his men, marching through the countryside of Narr. Tuamach was where the bird would end her flight, and there, another might take up the message, or perhaps a small band of scouts would be the ones who ultimately put the missive in Matei u Rhodana's hand.

When at last he received the letter, this is what it said.

Matei,

Perhaps this news has already reached you. Sometimes I wonder at the speed of messages that must travel across half the world. But Captain Danya has not sent to you and agreed this news is best conveyed by me.

Look: I tarry. Shall I write to you of the weather and the harvest and the rising sun? I would rather. I wish I could see your face. I do not like to send these unhappy words and not know when and where they will reach you. Only know that I love you and when you read this letter, I am with you, as near as I can be.

Yesterday night, Koren took part of the palace. With him was the archmage and perhaps a score of men. We can only guess they traveled by the blood with a greater magic than any man should possess. They came in the small hours and quickly seized control, only of the sleeping hall. They took Kaori and Eovin and me, and in secret they waited for allies to come to their aid.

I shall tell you all of it in greater detail when you come, but perhaps it will be better for you to speak with Danya. All we knew was the waiting, bound and watched over by Koren's men and not knowing what might come. And then in great foolishness and bravery what came was our own Aun. She has been here in the palace for some time visiting, and she has brought with her a son, your nephew, who is called Kaolo. He is a sweet and very bright boy who is so like both of his parents.

Forgive me, I wander.

She brought a morning tea, pretending to be a palace servant, and I was frightened that they would harm or kill her straightaway. How can it be in our wretched world that one person has value as a prisoner and another, none? But as you likely have guessed, Aun had her plan. She had drugged the food and tea. Soon enough, Koren's men had gone weak with a stupor, and some of them fallen. Then C— Danya came with dozens of our men and women. There was a great battle.

Matei, I grieve for you and for all of us: Eovin was killed. Aun tried to get him free, but he threw himself at the enemy, so as to save her, a hero. His mark in you, I wonder, or yours in him, my love?

We lost many in the fight, and all of them such heroes. My heart is in tatters. Owing to them we three are safe: Kaori and Aun and I, as well as young Kaolo, and every single palace servant, too.

Owing to them also, you need not worry about Koren as you lie down to sleep tonight. He was killed in the fire. If this news grieves you too, my love, then cry your tears and be not ashamed. I too loved him once as best I could. His archmage has been taken to the prison to await a trial upon your return to Karelin. His evil weapon has been secured behind locks to which but a few hold the key.

The fire took some of the royal wing, but thank the goddess it was stopped...it went little farther than that one chamber, thanks to the great efforts of many men and women. It is not the palace I would have grieved after all, but it is home to so many.

The last news is that Koren's army did try its power against our palace gates, but it must have been a greater force in his imagination than in life. Kaori has said he must have hoped to use us as his truest leverage, men or no men, and I can only guess that is true. Those plans were foiled thanks to Aun and to the palace guard, so many I could name. They were watching and braced for the attack.

Those of us who made it through are now safe and the palace secure. I have never wished for you more than I have in these past hours. I pray that you are safe wherever you may be. Do not worry for us, and do not hurry home in fear. Although I will not claim victory, for so many were lost, I hope you will be proud of those you left behind to guard the Holy City.

I close with many kisses, one for each morning and one for each night that you have been gone from me, and with all of my love and grief for our dearest Eovin. Be safe, be safe, be safe,

Mhera

The northbound bird had an easier journey. Perhaps it was because of the message he carried homeward, as light as joy itself. Though Matei had been careful to put his happy news in coded words, the meaning was clear to Mhera, who would carry the letter tucked next to her heart every single day until her husband's return.

My Dearest Heart —

Let the letters from my commanders carry you news of the war for this will contain none.

Do not read this as an empress. I do not write under the weight of my crown.

Read on as a woman, as my wife —

Uachi has come to us where we are encamped and he has not come alone. Bless his name, Mhera, for our greatest treasure is returned to us — friendship is restored and with it our hope for the future — our hope for peace.

It was a long journey here — but our return will go quickly with company such as this to lighten each step — and knowing that upon our return we shall see your lovely face watching for us.

Wrapped and sealed with this message is all of our affection and a thousand kisses from those who love you best.

Until our return — so very near that I already feel the warmth of your embrace —

Your devoted husband

Matei