60

When they returned to the camp, Matei was not where they'd left him. Uachi and Diarmán settled for a while, enjoying a cup of tea as they waited for what would come next. Within the hour, they had been called to the emperor's tent. There, Matei had been joined by a few others, all of whom were standing around the map Diarmán had been examining the night before.

"Welcome, Captain." One of the commanders clapped him on the shoulder as he approached. "I am Torun. This is Callia, and that is Artai." While Torun wore the marke, neither the woman and man he introduced were Arcborn. Uachi noticed this, but brushed the knowledge aside. They were here, at Matei's side, and that meant that they had proven themselves loyal and skilled. That was all Uachi needed to know.

"Well met," he said. He nodded to his companion, who'd stayed a step behind. "This is Diarmán."

"Am I supposed to be here?" asked Diarmán.

"Yes." Matei waved them in closer, turning his attention to the map lain out before him. He wasted no time reassuring Diarmán further of his fitness to join them, moving immediately on to the matter at hand. "The goals."

"Retrieval of Koren's wife and child," said Artai. He frowned down at the map, gesturing at a wooden piece carved to look like a tower. It was painted gray with a small image of golden wheat at the base. "Liara and Kochan. We suspect them to be safe at House Resh Deran."

"What sort of a place is it?" asked Uachi. He had not failed to notice that the little tower was the same size and shape used to mark House Olarian. "Is this a castle?"

"A great house," Artai replied. "Built for defense. It is not known to be bristling with fighting men, but Koren sent a contingent of his own soldiers—most of 'em borrowed from the Narrian queen—and, well." He gestured at the tower.

"They have the advantage, naturally, behind stone walls. Will we have to worry about other forces? What about this house, here?" Uachi indicated another tower.

"As of the last news we'd received, House J'dan had not declared, but we cannot be complacent. It's wise to anticipate complications," said Matei. "And, of course, we now expect that Koren and the archmage have gone on to Resh Deran as well."

"That's what worries me," said Callia. She stood at Matei's side, her arms folded, staring at Resh Deran's tower as if she could see inside it. "Our advantage on the field was that we were on even ground. If we strike the archmage while he's defended...I do not like it, Matei."

"Even if he isn't there now—even if he holed up somewhere else—all they have to do is send a bird to wherever he's gone and he can..." Artai gestured with a hand, a miniature whirlwind, whistling for effect. His whirlwind stopped right above the tower, and he popped his lips. "Surprise us."

Callia was grim. She shook her head and stepped back from the group, beginning to pace, her eyes still narrowed. Matei leaned on his fists against the table, his gaze flicking from one tower to another. Not so very far from Resh Deran was a small disc painted with the Imperial device, a token standing in for his encampment; many miles further north was another, smaller one.

"We might as well put it all on the table," said Uachi. "The goals. Koren's woman. Koren's son. And the princesses, too. Evenna and Halla."

"The princesses, too," Matei echoed. "The ladies-in-waiting—we suspect them to be Coratse's daughters."

Torun raised his brows. Callia stopped pacing, turning toward them. Artai murmured, "As if it were not high-stakes enough."

"What a sweet prize that would be," Torun said. "A whole pack of royal hostages."

"Or another dead end." Matei straightened, tapping one of his fists against the table. "When we strike, we must strike hard and fast. We cannot give them a chance to call for aid. We cannot give them a chance to break and run."

Callia returned to the table. She pressed a fingertip to the smaller disc, the smaller Imperial Army, and slid it closer to the tower. "This would certainly help. But either way, attacking a castle is no small feat, Your Grace. The plan is usually a siege."

"Oh, a siege." This was Diarmán, breaking in at last. It was a miracle he had been silent for so long. "How exciting. I've never been part of a siege before."

With a bemused look, Callia said, "Neither have I, but I'm not expecting much excitement. From what I understand, it consists of a lot of waiting around."

Matei and Uachi spoke at exactly the same moment, their voices overlapping.

"It's time we do not have."

"We can't wait. We need to strike."

Diarmán divided an amused glance between them. "Well, from what I understand, striking is what's going to get you into trouble. You knock on the door waving your great big swords around and the fellows inside the castle are going to send for this Koren chap."

"If he isn't there already," Callia muttered.

"So why are you taking your army through the front door?" Diarmán leaned past Uachi and plucked the wooden tower off the board. He turned it in his fingers, peering at it.

Artai frowned at him, seeming to be poised to snatch it back, but Callia got there first, opening her hand and beckoning for the tower. After Diarmán had handed it over, she looked down at it. "What was your name? Darman? What are you proposing—that we take an army through the back door?"

"Diarmán." He smiled at her, all charm. "I say—"

"I say you should hold your tongue for a moment." Artai looked irritated. "This is a serious matter, and you do not strike me as an officer. Nor even a soldier, for that matter."

Matei raised a hand. That silent gesture was enough to draw everyone's attention, smothering the sparks of a potential argument. With a tone that neither condemned Artai or betrayed special consideration for Diarmán, he said, "Let him speak. I would hear every perspective."

While Matei was as fair as ever, Diarmán looked a bit smug. Uachi sighed. What else had he come to expect from the man? Besides, Uachi knew the look in his eye, the twist of that grin.

Diarmán had a plan.

"Well?" Uachi asked. "Bless us with your wisdom, O Humble Sage."

The dry comment earned him a snicker from Callia and a less amused look from Matei, but Diarmán didn't seem rattled. He gestured toward the wooden tower Callia was still holding and said, "We needn't go in the back door if we don't take an army."

"