Chapter 27 - Presentation

I looked myself in the mirror as I put my brand new suit on. "I thought you looked beautiful in white....like an angel." Tony sits on his desk and smiles. "The material is harder to tear, so if someone stabbed you then it would be a lot harder for them."

"Tony I love it!" I reach over and kiss him. "It's absolutely perfect."

"Good. Now you need to go get ready. MIT, remember? I have a presentation."

"Right!" I hurry and slip off my suit and hang it back up in my locker. "I'll be ready soon!" I yell as I run out in my underwear, I fly up to the top level and run into our room.

It takes me a while to find the perfect dress, but I ended up with this:

I decide to curl my hair and do a soft glam makeup look. I put on my black pumps and grab my wristlet, this time I decided to take the stairs.

Tony turns around and smiles, "You look stunning." He kisses my cheek.

"Don't you look handsome." I smile.

Tony helps me into the car and we take off.

I sit in the front row, surrounded by many people. I smile as Tony's presentation starts.

I gasp as I recognize a woman playing the piano, it was Tony's Mother Maria, she was singing. "Try to remember the kind of September. When grass was green. "She stops singing as Howard Stark walks in, but continues playing. "Wake up, dear, and say goodbye to your father." I look over as I see a much younger Tony on the couch.

"Who's the homeless person on the couch?"

Tony, wearing a Santa hat, staggers to his feet and chuckles. "This is why I love coming home for Christmas...right before you leave town."

"Be nice, dear, he's been studying abroad." Maria says.

"Really, which broad? What's her name?"

"Candice." Younger Tony says.

Howard pulls of Tony's hat, "Do me a favor? Try not to burn the house down before Monday."

"Okay, so it's Monday. That is good to know. I will plan my toga party accordingly. Where you going?"

"You father's flying us to the Bahamas for a little getaway." Maria says, I smile at how beautiful she was.

"We might have to make a quick stop." Howard says.

"At the Pentagon. Right? Don't worry, you're gonna love the holiday menu at the commissary." Maria stops playing the piano and turns to Tony.

"You know, they say sarcasm is a metric for potential. If that's true, you'll be a great man some day. I'll get the bags." Howard nods to Maria, He walks out of the room, and Maria stands up.

"He does miss you when you are not here. And frankly, you're going to miss us. Because this is the last time we're all going to be together. You know what's about to happen. Say something. If you don't, you'll regret it." She whispers as Howard walks back in.

"I love you, Dad. And I know you did the best you could." Maria leans in to kiss Tony on the cheek, and when she leans back, real Tony is standing in the background. Howard and Maria walk out, leaving the two Tonys.

"That's how I wished it happened. Binarily Augmented Retro-Framing, or BARF. God, I gotta work on that acronym. An extremely costly method of hijacking the hippocampus to . . . clear traumatic memories. Huh." He blows on a candle and everything around him shimmers, then starts to dissolve. It's just a hologram. "It doesn't change the fact that they never made it to the airport... or all the things I did to avoid processing my grief, but..."He takes off his glasses. "Plus, 611 million dollars for my little therapeutic experiment? No one in the right mind would've ever funded it." I roll my eyes and smile up at him. "Help me out, what's the MIT mission statement? "To generate, disseminate....and preserve knowledge. And work with others..." everyone says with him. "to bring it to bear on the world's great challenges." Well, you are the others. And, quiet as it's kept..... the challenges facing you are the greatest mankind's ever known. Plus, most of you are broke." The crowd chuckles. "Oh, I'm sorry. Rather, you were. As of this moment...every student has been made an equal recipient of the Inaugural September Foundation Grant. As in....all of your projects have just been approved and funded." The crowd breaks out in applause and cheering, I smile and look at all the happy faces. "No strings, no taxes... just re-frame the future! Starting now." Tony looks down at me and pauses, he slightly smiles. "Go break some eggs."

I watch as he gets off the stage, I instantly get up and start to leave the auditorium. I then get a call from Steve. "Hey Steve, how's the new recruits?"

"Y/N...it's bad. We had...an accident in Lagos."

"Steve is everyone alright? What happened?" I panic as I walk outside to the car.

"A lot of innocent people got hurt.....Wanda she.....it wasn't her fault."

"Steve, Tony and I will be at the compound shortly. We'll fix this." I reassure him.

"Thanks Y/N...see you soon." He then hangs up.

As I'm waiting in the car, Tony finally gets in, he looks different. "Are you alright? Where did you go?" I ask.

"Bathroom."

"Look at this." I pull up the news feed on my phone of the team, Tony and I watch in in shock.

"Secretary of State Ross is calling me now." Tony points.

I continue to watch the video as he drives and talks to Ross. When I look back at Tony I notice a picture in his pocket, I pull it out to see a photo of a man. "Who is this?" I ask when he hangs up.

"I'll tell you later....Ross is meeting up with us at the compound."