Chapter 3

Aasur watched Hiccup take off Toothless' tail, and then his armor, carefully laying each one in the sun. Then we walked off into the woods. Toothless had laid down near the water. He rolled onto his back, exposing his underbelly to the sky and warm rays of sun. Aasur followed after Hiccup.

There was a crevice in the rocks with... a shield stuck between them. It took his a moment to crawl underneath it, as he was larger than Hiccup. Once in the woods, it wasn't hard to find him. He walked through the woods quickly and quietly, like he was going somewhere. But that was always how he walked.

Aasur caught up to him and looked into his friends eyes. He could tell that he was bothered by something. They were best friends. Brothers. Even though they didn't share any blood. Valka wasn't Aasurs biological son. But the two of them were like full brothers. Even though Aasur did have a biological brother. They're relationship was strictly professional.

It had taken about a year for them to become close friends. At first they only hung out because Eydis wanted them to, and they were around the same age. At the time, all the other younger ones were either a few years older or younger than them. The other teens had yet to arrive. Aasur was only older by half a year.

But then, over time, they started hanging out more and more on their own. They started to bond over their differences. Aasur lived in a place where everyone rode dragons, but he wouldn't. Hiccup had been born in a place where people killed dragons, but he rode and befriended them. Aasur was tough and followed directions well enough. Hiccup was not as tough, but he was smart, often helping with plans.

Then, ever so slowly, they realized their similarities. Both the son of a chieftain, both stubborn and sarcastic. That was when there friendship became more. That was when they became family.

He knew Hiccup better than anyone. Well, besides Toothless, but that was understandable. It was the same way with Wildae.

Aasur placed a hand on Hiccups shoulder. He flinched a bit, but smiled when he saw Aasur.

"Sorry. I didn't hear you," Hiccup said in a small voice. This made Aasur's brows draw together. Hiccup, over the years, had learned to make his scenes double, even triple. He wasn't that easy to sneak up on, and Aasur hadn't exactly been trying to hide the fact that he had followed him.

He walked around to face Hiccup. "What's wrong? Is it about your bag? Because that wasn't your fault. And we'll get it back."

Hiccup only shook his head. "Tomorrow- tomorrow marks eight years of my 'death'"

Aasurs face fell, and he pulled Hiccup into a tight hug. He stepped back, but heald the side of Hiccups shoulders in place. "I'm here for you, Hiccup. You can always talk to me about this kind of stuff. We are your family. Please- please never stop talking to us."

Aasur stared at Hiccup until he gave a slight nod.

A stick snapped behind Hiccup. Aasur looked over his shoulder to find a blond girl frozen, staring at them with wide eyes. Hiccup moved to turn around, but Aasur blocked his face from the girl, and pulled him away from her. They ran around a patch of thick trees and hid behind a rock.

"Who was it?" Hiccup whispered.

Aasur shrugged. "I don't know. But she saw us. I blocked your face though, don't worry."

They heard some rustling of leaves and Hiccup slowly peaked over the top of a rock. Almost immediately, his eyes widened and he dropped back down and pressed his back to a rock.

"Who is it?"

"Astrid Hofferson. She's from Berk. Our age."

Aasur grinned. "Astrid? As in the girl you had a crush on? The one you wouldn't stop talking about for two years after we met you? That Astrid?"